Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.
I've been away for a long time. Got some free time lately so I decided to try to free my CDL linkage, since it was seized for the last 5 years (no CDL or access to hi/low range !!!). I don't use the truck that much, only in the summer and when I need to pull a trailer. There is a lot of salt here in the winter. Anyway, I removed everything in the center console and freed the CDL shifter and all. Cables connections were so rusted and frozen they prevented any movement. The good news is the cables are ok but I had a hard time removing the connecting pins and making everything move again. Now I greased everything and both action can be operated. I've tried HDC to see if everything was working fine, but I don't seem to get a confirmation (I think) on the low transfer case position, although it engage and drive correctly. The HDC green icon keeps flashing with the chime.

I wonder if I could have damaged a low-position switch wiring for the LT230 and if so, is it accessible from underneath ? It is really a pain to remove the pop rivets and reinstall them, so I'll go there only if there is no other way to fix this problem.

Anybody have a hint ?

Thanks.
François

·
Administrator
2,357 Posts
Did you have the truck in motion? As I recall you need to roll it before the switch will be activated
Just a thought 🤔

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info but it did not made a difference rolling the truck while engaging the HDC switch.

In fact. from the workshop manual, there should be more feedback I am not getting from the transfer case:
1- There is no neutral alarm (one switch) when selected and
2- no locked position confirmation when engaged (two switches in parallel).

All these used to work in the past.
The manual states that the 3 switches use the case's electrical ground as a signal when they are closed.
There is probably a multiconnector for all three and hopefully this is the cause of the problem

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
403 Posts
Yeah mine doesn’t work either. I’m willing to bet your low range switch is bad. Mine is too I think. Haven’t bothered to fix it since I too don’t use low range much anymore and I’m waiting until the next time I pull the driveshaft to replace the u joints so I have better access to the switch. They aren’t greaseable but the shaft is basically brand new, so I’m waiting a little bit so I don’t replace them for no reason. It was replaced under previous ownership with non serviceable u joints right before I got the truck

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did progress in my investigation: I located the two Black/Blue wires from the parallel ''locked'' CDL in the center console bundle and when by-passing the switches, the dash icon light up with the 3 chimes, so I suspect I damaged the wires when I was working hard to free the two transfer case cables.
As for the hi / low switch, this strategy did not work or I'm looking at the wrong wires.
Finally, I have to understand better the wiring manual, because I haven't located the ''neutral position'' wire yet.
The hi / low interlock solenoid is working correctly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts