Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 95 LWB Classic is in the shop to do the LT230 swap. i got a tc from picknpull off a Disco. I dont remember what year it was, but i grabbed the output shaft, front propshaft and gear shift assembly as well. my shop says that this is a newer t case and wont fit. he is flaming mad, and i dont know what to do.

·
very disco
1,426 Posts
There are several variants of the LT230, though I’m not sure if they differ in form of connectivity. There’s a decent thread on aulro about it:

·
Registered
45 Posts
LT230-WONT FIT? HMMM.I DID THIS SWAP ON MY 94 range rover LWB. when you take out the borg warner viscous t-case, it just about falls out.the LT230 is longer than the borg warner so it looks like it wont go in the space. you have to lower the engine down further. the exhaust is in the way, so you need to remove it from the manifolds.Then you have to start it on the out put shaft, . grease up the t-case /tranny seal plenty so you dont mess it up on the shaft splines. ( I made my own mount for my floor jack.) to hold it at the correct angles.then you will fight it a little, and using a jack under transmission and a jack under t case make sure you get them both at the correct (in line) angle then it will just slip on. we left it in gear( t-case) so we could turn the insides to line up splines. it just goes right in then. not sure the speedo situation make sure your speedo hooks up to the lt-230t-case, if not then take the speedo unit out of the old t case and put it in the new one..it fits, though you will have some different wiring issues.And be sure to remove the interlock solenoid from the T case. its under a cover with 4 bolts and a wire. take the unit out and re seal the little cover. Then you have to jump the wire that makes the t-case neutral tone sound, or it will always make the sound..Then I had to have my rear driveshaft shortened (Tom Woods driveshaft) it only cost 60 bucks since i bought it from them only 3 months before...good luck.. oh yeah you need a different t-case shifter also.The best way to initially adjust the it is to put the t case in low, then adjust the linkage so you get full movement in low and low lock. you want it fully engaged. My t case slipped out of low range when I first did it. this is all easier with the transmission tunnel cover off.. then you can test it and be sure it works correctly before you close it all up inside the car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You might find it easier to leave the tranny out put shaft out, remove the transfer box input gear and after bolting the transfer box to the tranny (loosely at first) then bolt the tranny output shaft up, yes you will need to reach in to do it but saves time lower everything, the transfer will lift straight up.

bronzeking, did you mean front prop shaft?

I did make the lifting bracket as in the workshop manual made light work of getting transfer box up. I am an old git. No more curb side changing clutches and dropping the gearbox on ones belly. lol
hamrendan, hope you got this sorted by now??

1 - 4 of 4 Posts