Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what do you guys think of this tire with a 2 inch lift?

TrXus Mud Terrain
The NEW TrXus Mud Terrain is INTERCO'S answer to the need of those who want a smooth, super quiet ride with tough, thick sidewalls with a chip and cut resistant compound. This tire has more siping than any other mud terrain on the market; which has proven to be almost magical in icy snowy conditions. These same traction features make this tire a serious rock climber.

Each TrXus Mud Terrain tire has its individual specifications and is heavier than the original equipment tires of comparable size. Many brands of tires are made from generic specifications which means there are many "brand names" coming out of a particular factory but all the tires have a common specification basic body or casing. The only difference is the mold the tire is cured in. The tires will have different tread designs but the body of the tire is common to many others of the same size but under various names.

· Premium Member
2,318 Posts
I personally think it wouldnt be worth the problems assosiated with fitting a tire that large. Sure you going to gain ground clearance, but at the cost of extreme vehicle butchering to try to fit that size tire so it can tuck up.

Take a look at 235/85-16's, they seem to be a very common tire with OME 2" lifts and dont require the intense trimming/cutting that you will need with a 255/85-16.

There is also 265/75-16's, but you will have to increase the bump-stop length otherwise it will be bad when it tries to tuck up far. Thats why I would prefer the 235's.

Wait a bit longer to see if anyone else with DI's post with personal experience. I have a DII with 265/75-16's that fit perfectly and are awesome.

· Registered
161 Posts
Wouldn’t be prudent at this juncture

beavis4g63t said:
I think you'll need more than a 2" lift to fit that tire on a D1. In the attached photos, the D90 has the 255/85/R16's, the RRC has 235/85/R16's. To run the 235's you'll either need to do some trimming or a 2" body lift. Plus, you'll need to replace your drivshaft or you'll end up with some serious vibrations.

Good luck,
Art Vigil

· Registered
161 Posts
I'm not sure if the tire you're looking at is different, but the BFG MT is 33.3" tall, 10" wide on a 7" wheel in the 255/85 size. In the 265/75 size it's 31.9" X 10.5.

~Art Vigil

<edit>
Here's the BFG Website, if anyone wants more info:
BF Goodrich Tires

· as good as it gets
331 Posts
Yep...I agree with Ryan...with 2" lift you might get away with 265-75-r16 but that is going to be the tallest you can go...

You can fit that tire on a D1, but like everyone said you are going to have to trim...or you are going to have to either add bigger 5" springs or spacers which most people who really seriouly offroad hate the spacers...so if this is a trail rig go with the larger springs...but then you are again talking about different shock set up...back and front drive shaft conversions and $$$$

With what you have now you can pretty much buy the 265-75-r16's and slap them on and go on your way. :buttrock:

If you want the extra inch or so of hight from a 255 well get out your check book because I have spent over a grand trying to get to a 33" tire and I am still not there yet...I am still running a 265-75-R16...until I get 5" springs and a few more things...

On my own truck;
front and back drive shaft conversion done...trailing arms...longer brake lines...gees the list goes on and on...and seems like I will never get to a 33" tire...Oh and lets not forget the terrible wheel hop that I get ever since this new set up on the front end of my truck that sometimes just comes out of no where and feels like extreme turbulence on an airplane.

OH, Gees how could I forget the Bilstein 7100 shocks that were like $700 dollars for 4 of them...so you can run the 5" springs....Holy crap I have spent closer to $2k...after remembering the shocks..

Well...have fun...or remember you could just really trim allot and install fender flares flares....which I may do as well before I am all done. :dunno:

2,687 Posts
Discrover said:
You can fit that tire on a D1, but like everyone said you are going to have to trim...or you are going to have to either add bigger 5" springs or spacers which most people who really seriouly offroad hate the spacers...so if this is a trail rig go with the larger springs...but then you are again talking about different shock set up...back and front drive shaft conversions and $$$$
I dont think a lift alone will help, it will most likely hit on the outside bottoms of the fender when articulating.

· Registered
528 Posts
I have a 95 disco I with 265 truxXus m/t's. I have a ome 2" lift, but it's the heavy duty one, so it might be more like 2.5". I have only rubbed in extreme situations when the wheels are turned all the way.

· Registered
2 Posts
I have the tires you are looking at - 255/85 trxus. I do not know if they will work in your case, most likely will rub under articulation. In order to run mine safely I did a lot of stuff:

3" RTE springs
longer/bent front radius arms
castor corrected swivels
longer rear trailing arms
longer front shocks
brackets to lower rear shocks 2"
extended brake lines
2" bump stop extensions plus Defender bump stops
2" sway bar mount extensions
double cardan front driveshaft off a DII
u-joint rear driveshaft off an RRC
about 2" trimmed off bottom rear of rear wheel wells

Given all of that the tires work great. But they are still close under articulation thus I think you will have problems with just 2" springs and nothing else.

· Registered
157 Posts
Another thing that should be added if you plan on running 33s is taller gears and HD shafts. Running 33s on stock gears will be a PITA and eat gas worse than stock. Additionally, 33s on stock axles is a accident waiting to happen.

Im running the 751/781 OME setup along with 245/75 MTRs. Its the perfect suspension setup for my needs... daily driver and occasional offroading. I plan on getting some 235/85s in the next month or two and then will wait until spring for lockers, gears, shafts, and axles. Gearing problems become evident around 32in or taller. So, I will probably go 6-12mo with that and then upgrade to the RTE 3" setup with the longer trailing arms and radius arms, castor corrected swivels, extended brake lines, blah, blah, blah. Then get the 33s.

Take your time and enjoy the truck each step of the way. Modifying it slowly alows you to address problems as they arise instead. You will also see more improvement in your truck by going one mod at a time. Also, by learning to make it with whay you got, you will get better driving skills and learn how to get through things with less.

To properly mod a D1 w/ 33s you are looking at close to $3-5000 depending on how much you can do yourself. And to do it all at once, you will likely have more quirks to sort out.

Get the 2" in, run 245/75, 235/85 or 265/75. Wheel it, enjoy it, then upgrade a bit at a time.

Or, if you are into the driveway pics and cruising the mall, just toss on the 3" springs and 33s and wait for the rotoflex to go, axles to break, tires to wear unevenly in 1 month, and replace as you drive it to the mall.

Ive enjoyed the OME HD setup on and offroad, and it drives nice at the mall too.

· 100 quids for a days work son..
240 Posts
beavis4g63t said:

TrXus Mud Terrain
The NEW TrXus Mud Terrain is INTERCO'S answer to the need of those who want a smooth, super quiet ride with tough, thick sidewalls with a chip and cut resistant compound. This tire has more siping than any other mud terrain on the market; which has proven to be almost magical in icy snowy conditions. These same traction features make this tire a serious rock climber.

Each TrXus Mud Terrain tire has its individual specifications and is heavier than the original equipment tires of comparable size. Many brands of tires are made from generic specifications which means there are many "brand names" coming out of a particular factory but all the tires have a common specification basic body or casing. The only difference is the mold the tire is cured in. The tires will have different tread designs but the body of the tire is common to many others of the same size but under various names.
Awsome tires.. I have a set for about 1 year now.. different size 265/75/16 with a 2 inch lift.. try going with the big bad blue springs I think it gives you a 2.25 lift for the xetra tall tires your putting in there.. g-luck..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.