Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

So, after getting new tires/johnson rods/wheel spacers (http://www.landroversonly.com/forums/f41/how-accomplish-planted-look-who-do-116586/), now my ride sounds like a tin can full of metal BB's while driving. I have researched this and found it's a common symptom of the fake chrome lug nut caps on my wheels. Take them on/off enough times and they become loose. Does anyone know of a fix for this? Can I just go buy normal chrome lug nuts that don't have a stupid cap on? I am really surprised Land Rover did this, but from a $$ standpoint, I am not.

Here is a video I took of how bad it is: https://youtu.be/hK18HCAriN8

:frown

·
1,854 Posts
They have been like that since my 1988 RRC
Dave

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
Find some Range Rover nuts for a older Range Rover. They are solid without the silly Ford inspired caps

·
Registered
379 Posts
Mine sound like this when I chaotically shuffle my hand over them like in the youtube video, but while driving I certainly don't hear anything offensive....definitely not like a can of BBs.

Over-thinking it maybe?

·
Registered
662 Posts
Crass Chome is downscale!

The link provides a bit of info on the lug nuts part numbers and changes but does not answer the question, "why?"

I expect the stainless was and is seen as upscale on the Continent whereas chrome is looked down upon. That is why the LR3/Discovery and Land Rover etc lettering is in dull grey or similar rather than Crass Chrome. It is also part of the reason EU vehicle manufacturers have a "delete all badging" option available for their upscale Continental production.

For what it is worth, I have changed all the lettering on my 3 to Crass Chrome, because I like the look:grin; also the grey coatings had for the most part chipped away and looked very downscale.:crying

I have all my original stainless lug nuts, but there is not a lot of salt used up here as it is too cold for salts to melt.

DISCO3.CO.UK Photo Gallery - LR3 miscellaneous/Lug Nut part number RRD500290 outline sketch

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update: The crazy sound has gone away (yes it made that chaotic sound while driving too, not just when I rubbed my hand over them). Not sure why. Initially, I got a tire upgrade so I'm thinking those fake fancy caps were just knocked loose on the actual nut from the impact wrench. A combination of rain, grease(?), dirt and dust is what has silenced them now, I believe.... thankfully!

·
Registered
662 Posts
Silence is golden.

Did you ever check to see if the emergency lug wrench will fit your worn caps?

That is an interesting question.

Given that one probably does not have the air hammer collection of sockets the tyre installer used to get the nuts tight, I gather a common solution is to carry a selection of metric and SAE sockets; hopefully one wheel does not take more than three different sockets. Well it sure frustrates the wheel thieves, so that is a positive:eek.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Size Large Enough For Her?

I gather a common solution is to carry a selection of metric and SAE sockets
You can brag all want about your large tool(s) but my intent is to offer a warning to others.

Flat on side of road sometimes not a forking joke.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I was not bragging - I was agreeing with you. A collection of fat lug nuts can really turn a wheel change into a Snap On day.

That was the reason I got interested a few years back in why all the various Land Rover lug nut part numbers for what appeared to be identical lug nuts - varying metallurgy I gathered in an attempt to arrest the problem.

DISCO3.CO.UK Photo Gallery - LR3 miscellaneous/Lug Nut part number RRD500290 outline sketch

My "solution" is to carry a small air compressor and hope that the leak in the tyre is slow enough that just refilling the tyre will hold long enough for me to get to somewhere where someone else can remove the wheel. The front is not too difficult to jack up, but the rear, I really dislike attempting it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.