Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where can I get a replacement for the new ones that don't have those dumb caps on? Because apparently, the LR tire iron won't fit over them, so I ended up being S.O.L. this morning when I had to change my tire. :complain:

· MG
714 Posts
That's a common problem. Most of us who have been in your same spot have replaced that useless tire iron with a Stanley 28 mm (1 1/16 ") socket.

I think it was hailsharky that tore the caps of the nuts, but I'm sure he can tell you a bit more about that - there's a post of his somewhere about it if you care (have time) to do the search.

Another lovely LR "anecdote" to tell your grandchildren...

· Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
me.guevara said:
Another lovely LR "anecdote" to tell your grandchildren...
:lol: :lol:

Yeah, I actually ended up doing that. I threw the breaker bar into the LR, and picked up a 30mm socket (I was guesstimating). A bit big, but it works fine.

· Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Here is another question: Where to get anti-theft nuts?

Hi there from Adam in NYC.

On the lugnut issue, what is the correct size for the anti-theft lugnuts for a 1996 D1? It is hard to find them in the US.

Adam

· Registered
138 Posts
Atlantic British has the heavy duty lug wrench on sale in the fall/winter catalog, for a great low price! Nobody seems to want to take my advice on this one, but as I had trouble with the POS stock lug wrench when I first got my Rover, I bought one so that I would not destroy any more lug nuts. A lug nut costs as much as the wrench is on sale for, so not buying one is just foolish. Yes, I tried the 1-1/16 socket, I also tried the 27 or 28 mm (can't remember which) but just kept boogering up lug nuts. Use anti-sieze compound before you put it back together to protect from corrosion, both on the stud and on the lug nut shoulder where it contacts the wheel. The anti-sieze will make your life much easier in the long run. Good Luck, LRWheelman

· MG
714 Posts
I've got a '95. After more than 76k miles, a 27mm socket won't fit over the lugnuts any longer, despite the fact that, from what I understand, that's the design specification - the 28 works fine...

· Premium Member
1,031 Posts
LRWheelman said:
Adam, the anit-theft nuts were availble from AB a while back . . . LRWheelman
I checked and no luck, my guess is they are doing the holiday stuff.

· Premium Member
1,031 Posts
frickjp said:
They are still manufactured by McGard in Buffalo, NY. If you cannot find any, they sell direct.
Next time I am at PepBoys, I will break out the breaker bar and the socket and take it inside. They have a McGard demo station where you can try it out with the lug nuts.

P.S. Found this.

http://www.eurosportgarage.com/hr-guide/landrover.htm

Does anyone know if that is the correct information? Remeber, I have a 1996.

Adam in NYC

· Forward!
2,319 Posts
I had the unfortunate experience of having to put the spare on today so I now know what you are all talking about. All I had was the LR lug wrench and it wouldn't fit all the way on the lug nut, so I got the trusty old hammer out of the tool box and tapped the wrench until it fit all the way on the lugnut! It worked out just fine. Just wondering why those stainless caps on the lugnuts are so loose? Does anyone else have that problem and should they be replaced?

· MG
714 Posts
I just thought that the caps were loose on the nuts on purpose, in order to account for the different rates of thermal expansion on the different materials (or some such) - they don't come like that from the factory?

· Forward!
2,319 Posts
me.guevara said:
I just thought that the caps were loose on the nuts on purpose, in order to account for the different rates of thermal expansion on the different materials (or some such) - they don't come like that from the factory?

I don't know!? When my wife got her tires put on she had the dealer put them on and they told her they were rusted under the caps and she needed to replace them!!!! I definately don't want that kind of expense tacked on top of replacing my tires. As loose as the caps were, once I seated the stock lug wrench with some light tapping all seamed to be o.k. . Does anyone have any experience with those caps comimg off and stranding them when they needed to replace a tire?

· Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
frickjp said:
The caps are stuck on, then there are six small crimps to hold them onto the base of the steel nut. You pretty much have to tear them off. I'm sure you could then find a socket to fit what's left, I've never tried.
I asked that at Discoweb when I didn't get a quick enough reply here (and before it occured to me to just get a socket of the proper size), but apparently you can cut the cap off (dremel), and use the pliers to take them off. Then, just get a socket that fits, and use that.

Funny thing, I just realized that I got a 1 1/8 and noticed this: on some of the lug nuts, it fit perfectly, like a glove. On others, there was some play, but it didn't affect it. And finally, on two of them, I had to force the socket on there.

More of the Rover charm I guess... :confused

· Forward!
2,319 Posts
frickjp said:
The caps are stuck on, then there are six small crimps to hold them onto the base of the steel nut. You pretty much have to tear them off. I'm sure you could then find a socket to fit what's left, I've never tried.

That's why my caps make so much noise, the crimps around the bottom are gone! I guess I won't worry about it as long as I can still get the lugnuts off.
Thanks for all the info.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.