Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 Discovery II that is currently having this issue. I've found that if you put the Disco directly into DRIVE then the lights don't flash and the car is good to drive. BUT, once you put the car in REVERSE this problem arises. You then have to stop car, turn car off, start car and then go directly into drive. This has been going on for about 1 1/2 months. I know that there are quite a few reasons why this could be happening including a few I have checked...the battery is fine, the alternator is fine...ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
have you investigated the xyz switch adjustments? he is a good candidate.
I have not checked the xyz adjustments...I'll probably need a mechanic to do that...that's a little above my skill level, I'm sure....

I've seen other posts on this forum about the M&S (limp mode) flashing lights but never saw anyone say that it only happens when the car is put in REVERSE only...(like mine)

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Do you have a copy of the Rave manual, might want to read up on the testing procedure of the XYZ. If acting up, it can be taken apart and cleaned.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you have a copy of the Rave manual, might want to read up on the testing procedure of the XYZ. If acting up, it can be taken apart and cleaned.
Disco Mike, yes, I do have a copy of the RAVE Manuel (thanks to your link)

I will try your suggestion first (testing cleaning the xyz switch)

Thank you.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I had that problem except it was any random gear. was also getting low signal codes for every sensor on the engine block. Solution was the engine ground down by the t-stat was bad. looked ok but was not. Never had a problem since. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had that problem except it was any random gear. was also getting low signal codes for every sensor on the engine block. Solution was the engine ground down by the t-stat was bad. looked ok but was not. Never had a problem since. Hope this helps.
Thanks Matty! I'm still trying to figure it out...no luck yet!

·
2001 Disco 2 SE no ACE 115k miles
71 Posts
Try the easy fix first.. Mine happened to be a voltage issue.. Clean grounds up under the hood and test the voltage battery is putting out.. Could also try a slow deep cycle charge on batt... My truck sits for periods.. So every now and again I get M S until I get. Voltage back up

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you for all your contributions on the topic of M & S flashing, I realize that the topic was discussed many time, below is my similar problem with the M & S lights flashing on my Disco II 2003, 4.0L V8. Mileage:78,000 miles

Bought the car and drove it for 11 straight months without any issues, one day in Nov 14, I had a dead battery which I changed into new. Later, in Feb, I got the M & S flashing on the dashboard while driving, stopped the engine, and restarted and all clear for another month or so. Later in April, I got the error again, it was more stubborn this time, it would go only if I clear it with my OBD device, until a week later when it was permanently on, and while diagnosing the error, I was given P0335 which indicated that something could be wrong with Crankshaft Positioning Sensor, which I replaced with a used one that was readily available with my mechanic, and the error has gone for a week, and then got back, and decided to get a new one, waited for 2 weeks (online order to East Africa) and fitted the new one, and was good for only another week.
Now it is June and I’m still getting the error every day, but there is a pattern now. Early in the mornings when I’m off to drop the kids to school (Tropical weather all year round). I reverse the car back out of the garage or drive straight out of the garage (depending on how I entered the garage earlier). I drive a bit on a slight slope, a minute of driving later, 2 scenarios can occur:
Scenario 1: The engine roughs up a bit and the M & S lights come up along with the ‘Check Engine’ light. The car gearbox switches to limp mode and drives on third gear, when this happens I park and stop the engine, clear the error with OBD, and drive normally for the rest of the day.

Scenario 2: If I manage to detect the roughing up of the engine before the M& S lights start flashing, I go in ‘N’ quickly, then back to ‘D’ and no error, and I keep driving the car normally all day long.

Note: I get the error more or less at the same spot every day.

Now, I’m puzzled to whether this could be related to:

1- A battery issue, when I change the dead battery, I had to go for a Korean brand that was widely available in the market, Hyundai Enercell 12V, 70Ah, 750CCA. Could be that the battery was in perfect condition when I bought it 7 months ago? And now it is acting up!? Would a 90Ah battery do a better job? Would it affect anything negatively?
2- Or is it the Alternator, affected by a battery that is acting up? Or just the alternator?
3- Could be the XYZ gear selector switch? I have intentionally listed this till the end, because I believe that it is ok, and I would like to think of it as the last culprit, because it is expensive and is a delicate process to replace.

As indicated above, I have also tried to reverse the car in the garage and drive out on ‘D’ not on ‘R’ as I used to do, same result. I have also have done the test of switching the wipers on, and engaging the gear on ‘R’, the rear wiper works fine perfectly, every time I try it.
Any insight or help from experience would be appreciated,
Nabil

·
certified idiot
694 Posts
Hi Nabil
In scenario 1
Scenario 1: The engine roughs up a bit and the M & S lights come up along with the ‘Check Engine’ light.
is the code associated with the check engine light always P0335? or is it a different code?
cheers
Barri

1 - 11 of 11 Posts