Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know my travails are less than many of the issues posted here, but i am at wits end and am looking for wisdom from more experienced owners than I.

The backstory: I've owned several land Rovers over the years, but my faithful 2000 HSE 4.6l is now in sickbay awaiting a heart transplant. In the meantime, I picked up a second 2000 HSE 4.6l at a very fair price with only 89k miles and complete service records from the local Rover dealer. It came with a very recent good emissions test, so I was surprised when, one week on, the dreaded P0101 code popped up. So, I inspected the MAF and in doing so found the dirtiest air filter I've ever run across. MAF looked clean so I reset the codes and ran through the cycle with the new air filter. P0101 popped up again. Knowing that my other RR was not showing any codes, let alone the P0101 code, I elected to swap the "proven" MAF for the one in the newly acquired HSE. Both MAF's are Bosch. Cleared the codes again, and wouldn't you know, P0101 is back again.
So, I cleaned the original MAF with MAF cleaner, let it dry overnight, to no avail...P0101 is back again.
I have checked for vacuum leaks and have found none, but I have not attempted to "smoke" test it yet.

What am I missing here? Any suggestions are welcome...I have to pass emissions testing to get this truck registered...Arrrgh.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Just a dumb D2 driver here.

When you search for your code in the LR manuals results suggest it may be a problem with the throttle position sensor.

Generic code lists suck sometimes.

If the TP sensor should fail, the following fault codes
will be generated by the ECM diagnostics, which can
be retrieved by Testbook:
• P0101 - (load monitoring, the ratio of throttle
position to air flow).
• P0122 - (signal less than the minimum
threshold).
• P0123 - (signal greater than the maximum
threshold).

·
Premium Member
1,510 Posts
Might be a wiring issue between the MAF and ECU or with the MAF supply, check on pin 2(brown/pink wire) to have 12V first, the sensor is hardwired to the ECU connector so you must get continuity on the same colour wires bewteen the MAF's plug and ECU connector C0636(pins 7, 9, 23, 34), it's the connector plugged in the middle, unplug both with ignition off and check with multimeter to get fully closed circuit across MAF's plug and ECU plug on the same colour wires and open circuit all against earth, see pin disposals:

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts