Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The D2 that I purchased has some things really messed up and I've been working through the issues. Well, I ran into another one last night...the reader has been showing some MAF-related errors and I found that it has an aftermarket sensor. I purchased an OE housing and sensor, for a 2000 D2, as that's what I have. Well, the housing is too small. The housing that was in there is a Bosch, but the sensor is aftermarket-- as if someone had swapped sensors from the OE housing. Anyway, I know the motor has been replaced. What gives? I understand that later models had a larger housing, but were they all still 4.0L? I'm kinda confused.

·
Premium Member
1,412 Posts
AFAIK the V8's for NAS market were 4.6 engines. the 4.0 was mostly for EU/ROW...so if your's a 4.0 engine from 2000 year the correct part number for the MAF is ERR7171 as complete unit and for 4.6 engines the part number is MHK100800 which is a bit larger and has different reading curve so better figure out exactly what's on your engine.

·
very disco
481 Posts
Which engine do you have?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Which engine do you have?
Well, I thought it was the 4.0 because that's what they came with, but now I question this since I know the motor has been replaced AND the MAF housing for a 4.0 does not fit-- it's too small by several millimeters-- the tube engulfs it.

AFAIK the V8's for NAS market were 4.6 engines. the 4.0 was mostly for EU/ROW...so if your's a 4.0 engine from 2000 year the correct part number for the MAF is ERR7171 as complete unit and for 4.6 engines the part number is MHK100800 which is a bit larger and has different reading curve so better figure out exactly what's on your engine.
I did some digging and it looks like the 4.0 was used until the 2003 models came out-- which had 4.6's put in them. My breather tube is larger than the OE MAF housing that's made for my year. The PO replaced the motor with a rebuilt one he purchased last year. Now, I'm thinking that it has the 4.6L in it. Would a sensor for a 2000 4.0 not work properly in a 4.6? I should think the computer would compensate? Then, again, if it is a 4.6, I'm wondering if he left the OE computer in there... Ugh.

·
Registered
195 Posts
AFAIK the V8's for NAS market were 4.6 engines. the 4.0 was mostly for EU/ROW...
NAS DIIs had the 4.0 engine from '99 through '02. The 4.6 is in the "03s and '04s only.

You can remove the MAF sensor itself from the new housing and install it in the old housing. Yes it's installed with those silly security Torx screws but you can remove them with pliers and replace them with conventional screws whey you reassemble it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
NAS DIIs had the 4.0 engine from '99 through '02. The 4.6 is in the "03s and '04s only.

You can remove the MAF sensor itself from the new housing and install it in the old housing. Yes it's installed with those silly security Torx screws but you can remove them with pliers and replace them with conventional screws whey you reassemble it.

For sure. I'm just mighty confused about what engine is in mine being that I've run into this as well as the fact that I know the motor has been replaced. I saw the old motor on the floor of the shop of the guy I purchased from. I had no clue about LR's, but I wish I had because I'd have asked what it was replaced with. Good times!

·
Premium Member
1,412 Posts
You can remove the MAF sensor itself from the new housing and install it in the old housing
IMO it's not about the housing...the 4.0 and 4.6 sensors have different reading curves, it's not a good ideea to mix them on a petrol engine where the main fuelling calculations are based on air flow reading

·
Registered
195 Posts
Fery, what's behind your statement about the reading curves, please? I'm not saying you're not correct, I've just not ever heard that before specifically to the DII. Plus, wouldn't the curves to which you refer be the mapping in the ECM? The MAF sensor simply reports data. It's a "dumb" component. The ECM uses the data with its maps to manage the engine. Same as the O2 sensors.

·
Premium Member
1,412 Posts
I have a friend with a D2 4.0 V8 and made air fow measurements with hawkeye as he had a specific air flow fault code stored, the original MAF on it was the ERR7171, as the reading was all over the place and we didnt have a spare new sensor we borrowed a sensor from other friend who has a 4.6 P38 which uses the MHK100800(also used on 4.6 D2s) and swapped the sensors in the casings then read live data on both, on the D2 the readings were bad again which made us dig hard on the intake path untill we found a leak while on the 4.6 the readings were higher with the ERR sensor than with the MHK and after the leak was fixed on the D2 we got different readings with each sensor hence my conclusion... to be 100% certain i should make comparisons between two new sensors though

to answer that
Plus, wouldn't the curves to which you refer be the mapping in the ECM? The MAF sensor simply reports data.
the fuel map is also important off course but the sensor is not as simple as it appears, it has it's own very complex electronic circuit which converts the resistance variations of the sensing element into voltage and each sensor has it's own curve(a kind of map as well) as it's "calibrated'' by it's builder to match the requirements for each specific fuel map. As long as the sensor without housing has a different part number(not superseded) even if it fits to the housing it can have a diffrent output path and as the stoichiometric calculations for a petrol engine fuelling are based on that i'd better not mess with it

just a short article to show you the basics but in reality it's more complicated: Bosch mass air flow sensors, Bosch air flow meters and Bosch mafs - Air Flow Meter, Mass Air Flow Sensor and Maf sensor Suppliers

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, all! This gives me a lot to chew on! Did the 4.0's ever come with the larger breather tube/housing?

·
very disco
481 Posts
You should be able to locate a stamping on your block to identify

1 - 11 of 11 Posts