Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. Im new to this forum. First of all I have 1995 LWB. I just finished changing all 3 power steering hoses. I was a bitch. Anyway I want to change the tranny and dif fluids. As well as replace the brake rotors and pads ( all four corners). But before I do, I have a few questions.
1. Is there any brand or type of power steering fluid recommened?
2. Are there any brands or types of tranny and differential fluids recommended?
3. HOW THE HELL DO YOU REMOVE THE WHEEL HUB NUT? :dunno: I have that "special" tool but the thing is not budging?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Read the manual, if it is the same as the earlier classic systems, the power steering uses automatic transmission fluid - dexron III/mercon, to be precise.

I believe you use the same stuff for the transmission.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Oh and about the wheel hub nut, there is TWO nuts. There is one nut, then a flat plate, taht has an edge bent flat over the outside nut on one of the flats. You must use a screwdriver and hammer and push it back up (unfolded) that way the nut can spin free. It should come off with little effort, even without the tool. I just use a channellocks.
Then beneath that, there should be another nut of the same thing, this one shouild spin off with fingers.

Assuming the caliper is already off, the hubs hould then slide off, you may need a puller to get it to slide off the rear bearing, sometimes its a little tricky.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Quote: "I just finished changing all 3 power steering hoses. I was a bitch."

First of all I am sorry you are a bitch~:D :D :D

Secondly the wheel nuts/covers are usually on hard - I have the same vehicle, and had the same questions.....the things you think are really covers are the lug nuts too....just crank em, lefty loosey :D and they will come right off, sometimes shops use their impact wrenches and put em on so you need a 600lb gorilla to get them off ofr you...if you do not have one of those handy I suggest more leverage on the wrench by using a steel pipe (jack handle) over the wrench handle.....good luck.

And welcome to the wonderful world of Classic Rovers

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First of all I am sorry you are a bitch~:D :D :D
You know what I meant, Jonesy. :)

Yieldsign 2, Thanks for the advice on the power steering fluid. I refilled it with Max life power steering fluid. I will be draining it and replacing it with transmission fluid this weekend along with the other fluids.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hub nuts and more

Have a look at the pictures on my website www.goffy.com showing a rear hub oil seal rebuild, but remember that the design of the hub changed several times during production.
Do make absolutely sure that you have read the proper Land Rover manual relating to your model. This is safety-critical stuff!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.