Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All
I just picked up a nice British Racing Green 92 Range Rover from British Columbia, rust free and really nice.

I want to change the transmission fluid, and all the drivetrain fluids.

Does anyone know what are the best products to use, and the recommended viscosities?

Thanks in advance!

·
I'd love to be in the Rat Patrol
3,205 Posts
I run 20w50 Castrol in my engine and 80w120(?) in my diffs.
But with your climate up north you probably should pay attention to the viscosities more due to the cold.
I'm a big fan of the Castrol products with Wix filters (NAPA Gold).
I read somewhere yesterday that running synthetic in the cold was a good plan but I don't have any experience with that.

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
Well first congrats on the purchase!!! In my 92 I run all Mobil 1...... 10w-30 Sythtic oil, 80w-90 sythetic gear lube, Mobil 1 sythetic transmission fluid.. When you are changing the trans filter allow a little more time....It takes a little more than just dropping a pan!!!! Hope this helps!!!1 :wave:

·
Former LR tech, Albany NY
2,437 Posts
in this case Synthetics arent bad especially up there.

First thing you do before you change any fluids check the following. Battery. have it load tested. Its winter time. You need it.

Check Coolant temps to make sure its good to around minus fifty especially where you are.

make sure you dont have any leaks around the tires. Cold temps bring out flats really quick.

anyway one thing to keep the battery going a little stronger.

Try turning on the lights first and then turning the key. That way the fuel pump is energized and the battery is warmed up from the activation of the lites.

trust me you can keep a bad battery going longer with this method. Im doing right now.

I learned the trick from the Sears Diehard commercials. Ever notice their artic commercials. They always turn the lights on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.