Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
4,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In about 2 weeks, I've got one HELL of a service to perform on "El Capitan". If you remember seeing my post of the things I had to do within two months, I decided to wait and just do it ALL in one weekend...

Things I'll be doing:

1) Changing Oil / Filter - will be using Mobil 1 and KN filter.
2) New P4 spark plugs with Magnecor 8mm wires
3) Draining and refilling Trans. and Diffs with Mobil 1 fluids
4) CV Joint replacement and refilling swivels with a 50/50 mix of LR Grease and oil
5) DBA Front Rotors with Kevlar pads.
6) Applying my new blackout from Chris Hyde

Finally, I'd like to take care of the leaks displayed below. Any help with how to do the job, or how to improve the method of the obvious job, would be grealy appreciated.

Are these simple gasket changes, tightening of the bolts, and replacement of any hoses, or is there more to it?

Also, the the splines on the shaft that comes out of the steering box suppose to show like this...

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
01001010 said:
In about 2 weeks, I've got one HELL of a service to perform on "El Capitan". If you remember seeing my post of the things I had to do within two months, I decided to wait and just do it ALL in one weekend...

Things I'll be doing:

1) Changing Oil / Filter - will be using Mobil 1 and KN filter.Mobil One, yes, K&N, Eh.
2) New P4 spark plugs with Magnecor 8mm wiresWaste of money unless you are going with high voltage coil pack. 7mm are just fine3) Draining and refilling Trans. and Diffs with Mobil 1 fluids One wrench4) CV Joint replacement and refilling swivels with a 50/50 mix of LR Grease and oil Why Mix? Whats you theory here?5) DBA Front Rotors with Kevlar pads. Got a press handy, Rotor and hub seperation can be a bitch without one.
6) Applying my new blackout from Chris Hyde If you're like me, you'll have thee neighbors cat stuck underneath it when you're done

Finally, I'd like to take care of the leaks displayed below. Any help with how to do the job, or how to improve the method of the obvious job, would be grealy appreciated.

Right side, piece-o-cake; Left, gotta raise the plenum cover

Rear Main Seal
Are these simple gasket changes, tightening of the bolts, and replacement of any hoses, or is there more to it?

Also, the the splines on the shaft that comes out of the steering box suppose to show like this... Usuially

·
Registered
321 Posts
when pressing your brakes, remember to take that cap off our master cylinder and put some rags around it.
when doing your plugs and you have access to some high pressure air, blow around it to get rid of any lose crap around your plugs so nothing will fall in.
Never replaced a CV joint so can't help there but rest should be fairly easy
take care
sam

·
Registered
388 Posts
Valve covers are kinda of a PITA, just make sure you get the rubber style gaskets not cork. You're also supposed (according to LR) to replace the valve cover screws because they stretch. Its a funky sized socket as well.

Looks like you could use a rebuild steering box, seal looks like its falling out. But that gap does look normal.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I wouldn't use Mobil 1 untill you fix the main seal problem, it's only going to leak more.

I had (and heard of others) problems with 4 prong spark plugs. I would get the wires anyway, you might upgrade your coil somewhere down the line.

Steering box: it's a PIA to replace the seals. I'm in the process of doing that on a spare box I have. You have two options; 1) if the leak isn't too bad you can add some Lucas Steering leak stop, it'll swell up the seals and stop it from leaking. I've used it many times and it works great; 2) get a rebuilt box from Meridian in CA. They sell them on eBay and they have great customer service. I have one on my white DI and it's fine.

Now, before you start any of these projects I would try cleaning the underside of the engine/engine compartment and make sure to identify all the leaks. The most common leak area for the power steering fluid is on the hose that attaches to the bottom of the fluid reservoir. Try getting some Zebra clamps, they're great!

The main seal is a big project, the gasket is probably around $25 but you have to seperate the engine from the tranny.

·
4,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Terry...

- Thumbs up on the M1, but what would you recommend for the Oil Filter? Remember, I also do lots of city driving. LR Filter?
- hmm, my coil pack works just fine, I'll look into those 7mm.
- One wrench???
- The 50/50 mix, I've read of other guy's experiences doing this, Good lubrication / the thicker substance shouldnt leak / however, still thin enough to drain
- I'll be replacing the left rotor while replacing the CV, its the Right one that im expecting to be a biaashh
- ABout the cats, thought about that ahead of time, they've all been trapped and released in FAARRR Away "under-contruction" communities :D .....seriously!
- Thanks for the info on the captioned images...had no clue of the severity.

Dent...

Thanks man. Do you have a pic or a link to a pic of a press? I might have this on the non-Craftsman side of the shop with all of my dad's old tools whos functions I dont know.

Sven...

Thanks for the info onteh gasket. I learned this from my old 65 Mustang, not only do the cork ones crack over time, when the time comes to remove the covers, you need to pry them out, potentially damaging the egdes of the covers. The rubber ones turn into a thick goo like substance which can be removed by hand, but still using some force.

steering box....dang that makes sense! (more leaky steering pics at the bottom of this post)

John...

OUCH!..That serious eh? Unfortunately, I think I'll have to take it to the stealership for the main seal issue...unless I can drink or eat something to make my cojohns big enough to do the job myself.

Plugs, which ones should I be lookin at? I DO like the 8mm and I totally dig anything with the word "upgrade" in it, in regards to the coil pack. Who makes'em?

You and I will DEFINATELY be in touch for this steering issue. Now that I'm SUFFERING with the painful sounds of a badly damaged CV while making turns, I dont want to hear anything similar ever again coming from my steering components.

I'll clean the underside tomorrow when I come back from light muddin.

I'll go lookin for those zebra clamps right after i hit the "submit reply" button.

Definately clamp issues, dont you think..lol.....

THANKS FOR ALL THE REPLIES GUYS!!!! :buttrock: :wave: :drink1:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.