1 Can Of Brake cleaner
8 Spark Plugs, I use Bosch Platinum Plus 4's
1 Set of Magnacor or STI 8mm plug wires
1 Serpentine belt
2 Bottles of SeaFoam gas additive
1 T/Stat
1 bottle of WaterWetter or Purple Ice
Hoses and belts, as necessary

60,000 Mile Service or Major Service for High Mileage Used Vehicle just purchased

Bleed the brakes
Flush and change the power steering fluid adding one bottle of additive
Service the tranny adding one bottle of additive
Change the coolant Pressure Cap and t/stat
Do an engine flush before changing the oil
Do an induction cleaning
Clean the throttle body
Add fuel additive to full gas tank
Change both of the diffs fluid
Change the t/case oil
Replace the plugs and wires
Replace the air filter
Lube all the drive shaft grease fitting including the 2 slip shafts
Do full inspection of brakes, hoses, bushings etc.
Rebuild or Replace the front drive shaft if it only has 1 grease fitting

Hopefully I didn't leave anything out.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Service Intervals check sheet

Here's the list of items for the most major service from the manual

I wouldn't renew the cats unless it's needed.

·
Mr. t
561 Posts
can you guys explain the induction cleaning, engine flush and throttle body cleaning?
i've done everything but the aforementioned and the t-case. i can't get the damn fill plug out!

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
Engine flush? WTF? The only thing to put in the sump is clean oil. If it's dirty, change your oil more frequently.

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
pt, i be the first to tell u that: u can do and engine flush...ok so i was doing a trans flush using an machine..yeah yeah I know im an idiot.. well i grab the oil cooler line instead of the trans line.. long story short, motor had a good merk V flush. hahaha.. i kept thinking," how come the trans fluid is soo thick and black" lolol .. as techs, you know we all have our funny stories to tell.. i figured i share that with you..

·
Registered
39 Posts
Engine Oil Selection

On my DII and P38 (2001 & 2002) - I use Mobil 1 Full Synthetic High Mileage 5W30 in winter, Same make 10W 30 in spring and fall, and Mobil 1 Full Synthetic High Mileage 10W 40 in summer - I live in GA. I use a Mobil 1 301 filter always.

Are these sensible choices - I have no leaks and get great quiet running engines and performance - BUT I'd like to know if I an doing the right thing.... It would be nice for these to keep going for a long time, (DII has 81K and P38 88K)

BTW - AUTOZONE in GA have a special until Sunday - 5 Quarts of Mobil 1 High Mileage Full Synthetic and get a free Mobil 1 oil filter free - Total price $24.95 !!!! I stocked up with 10W40 and 301's :)

Andy

·
Administrator
16,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dexcool may be the reason our D2's have been eating up head gasket faster the the D1's that don't use it. It also eats up out t/stat housings as well as the coolant caps.

·
Administrator
16,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That oil combination is fine, some may also suggest Shell's Rotella synthetic.

·
Registered
28 Posts
whoa...hold on....I thought we ``had to !!``use the orange Dexcool. What made you guys change your mind?......do we dump all the orange and go green??

·
57 Posts
Add to the list formally:

A) Radiator top vent 'cap'- discard plastic and replace. Not an option. I replaced w/zinc coated casting/plug. 1-1/2 yr working perfect. Orig failed VERY inconveniently.

B) Fuel filler cap-plastic fails guaranteed. Replace every 5 yrs. Baseline is tomorrow...

C) New venting hose from front diff, up to vacuum-port at manifold;

D) Serp belt idler pulley Bearing Cheap and cheerful d-i-y project;

E) Oil pan drop-and-clean. Just as it sounds. Remove front a/s bar to access.

F) One-shot grease into CV...check it, at least.

G) Check actual pressure in the spare tire; while at it... adjust 4 road tires too.

H) Paint the radio 'code' on some surface or use crayon, but don't identify it as...

I) Finally, run the AC for 5 mins once weekly or monthly, regardless; and,

most
IMPORTANT:

as mentioned above: Drain the Transfer case and refill [same as trans fluid). Use small size oil can like Dorothy used in WoO. Every 30k-40k mi. Not kidding here, this is the single most expensive item and the secret to RR great drive-train prowess.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Synthetic Trans Fluid

Thank you for great information. What is the consensus on synthetic auto trans fluid in the DIIs? I'm a big fan of synthetics generally.

·
Registered
27 Posts
What do you guys think of Rotella 15w40 oil? anyone run this on their d2"s?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Great list, thanks guys. Two questions: the vacuum hose is for bleeding the brake lines or are there lines that need replacing e.g. Cruise control?

I have changed the fluid in the tranny, t-case and diffs and front cv/knuckles within the last 8k miles or so and have checked/topped more recently. What is the routine for these guys? (every xx,yy miles?)

Will add "grease props haft zirks once I get them replaced from stock in the very near future. Thanks! Tom

·
Registered
1 Posts
Head Gasket Problems & leaking coolant

Hello....I am new to the thread:) But wanted folks to know that I had an on going problem with leaking coolant...I finally had my 03 Disco with 181,279 miles original head gaskets & spark plugs replaced...and omg the truck runs so much better...no more leaks...Having to ride around with a bottle of coolant for the past year...has been a great relief..for those who don't think the Disco will run past 150,000 miles...I am living proof..Prior to the head gasket work being done...I had the valve covers replaced, water pump and thermos. replaced...but I kept having this leak...

1 - 20 of 50 Posts