Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm trying to track down two leaks from under the d2. Looks like coolant and power steering. Are the plastic "plates" necessary? They are in the way, and I can't seem to remove them without removing major items. Can I just cut them out and throw away?

2004 Discovery 2, 124,000 miles.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Any suggestions?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mike, how difficult is this to do for a novice? What tools will I need to have? Am I better off going to an Indy to do head gaskets and an oil pan gasket than do it myself and run the risk of major damage due to ignorance? What exactly is an engine flush btw?

Sorry to bum rush you with questions, but I have some things that need fixing pretty darn soon.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Mike, how difficult is this to do for a novice? What tools will I need to have? Am I better off going to an Indy to do head gaskets and an oil pan gasket than do it myself and run the risk of major damage due to ignorance? What exactly is an engine flush btw?

Sorry to bum rush you with questions, but I have some things that need fixing pretty darn soon.
...LACK$bLU..You need to ask these ?? on a new thread of your own. This is a sticky that only newbs look at.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Recommendations and tips?

New to the forum, not a Disco owner yet. I am in love with them and have started my search for he perfect '04 (new oil pump model). I was certified ASE in '93 (Chevrolet) and owned a VW tuner shop a few years back. I am no longer in the business, but certainly not afraid to wrench, and I know my way around a vehicle. Now, my plans after purchase are to replace ALL wear and tear items regardless of appearance as I was NOT there when they were replaced/covered in "ArmorAll". This will include ALL belts, hoses, brakes, brake lines, filters (air, oil and tranny), flush radiator, engine, tranny and service shafts if possible. I plan on lots of weekend, "get the hell out of dodge" trips off the beaten path. I live in the Appalachians so plenty of places to go. I plan on purchasing within 6 months and having outfitted in time for Appalachian Rendezvous 2016. I have to send wife and kid to London in December before purchase otherwise I would have one in my driveway now. This leads me to my questions as I am trying to set a budget ( I am aware it will be expensive). I do NOT cut corners (or try not to).

1. hoses - silicone or rubber and why?
2. shafts - replace if non-serviceable?
3. suspension - poly bushings? ( I know they squeak, will scuff)
4. lift - plan on 2" OME, how will this affect my drive shafts, will I need longer ones?
5. Sleeve drop prevention - ANYTHING beyond normal maintenance to prevent?
6. sensors - any need replacing due to time or miles that a non Rover mechanic wouldn't know about?
7. air filter - I noticed you said factory, do you NOT recommend K&N filter charger?

Any other tips you could share that I may have missed would be appreciated. And yes, it will be taken to LR dealer prior to purchase for inspection.

·
Stupid > Ignorant
56 Posts
1. hoses - silicone or rubber and why?

Silicone hoses are porous. Hence they are not the best when used for fuel or coolant. Charged air is different story.

2. shafts - replace if non-serviceable?

All driveshafts are serviceable. Someone had to build them right? I had my factory driveshaft rebuilt with grease fittings on the U joints. It has been about 8 years since I had them rebuilt. I grease them every other oil change interval. My front shaft has about 90K miles on them, I just drove 3000 miles in the past week or so.

3. suspension - poly bushings? ( I know they squeak, will scuff)

I would never put poly in any of my daily driver. Been there done that. I put one on my Daily Driven Jeep in the past, and I put a transmission mount on, took it for a spin, I took it out the same day. There is hardly any give on poly bushings. It puts stress on other hardware. I'd rather change out the bushing then failing strap/bolt/bracket.

4. lift - plan on 2" OME, how will this affect my drive shafts, will I need longer ones?

As far as I can tell, 2" is the limit where you can get away with just the lift.

5. Sleeve drop prevention - ANYTHING beyond normal maintenance to prevent?

When I bought my D2 back in 2008, I was told that I will be spending as much to keep the vehicle running and possibly more. I wouldn't say it was totally care free ownership but many things were exaggerated. I do 99.9% of the work on the vehicle that own. The jobs include doing oil pump in the front engine cover, timing chain, setting ring and pinion... I bought the truck and immediately after spent some money doing belts, pulleys, fluid change, new radiator, oil pump, replaced oil pan seal. During the past 7 year ownership, I replaced: RR hub, ABS sensors, alternator, battery, PS pump, two sets of plugs and wires.

Only used, good synthetic blend or fully synthetic for the oil change with interval of about 5000 miles. Knock on wood, but I have not had any trouble with the motor and it has 150K miles

Still have Dexcool in the radiator. I didn't know there was big fuss about it. I will be draining it in the next few days.

I think a lot of LR owners are absolutely clueless about cars in general and they think because a Rover is built for offroad that it is incredibly tough hence it does not require any maintenance. When in fact, because it has so many more moving parts, that it requires more extensive maintenance.

6. sensors - any need replacing due to time or miles that a non Rover mechanic wouldn't know about?

When sensors go bad, they throw a code.

7. air filter - I noticed you said factory, do you NOT recommend K&N filter charger?

MAF probe gets coated with K&N oil and can be irreversibly become faulty.

·
LadyWitaRover
2 Posts
Hello
I have a question should I do all this before finding out what is causing the ticking in my 2003 Disco II? When I start my trick it sounds as if it's ideling to high, or it appears to be the ticking would gets some what louder the longer I drive that day. It only has 97,000 miles as well. Someone please help me figure this out.

Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
LadyNaRover.... There are lots of threads in this forum that talk about the ticking sound that the engines can make. In my instance, the noise develops only when the engine is hotter than I would like... over 207 degrees. I have found that so long as the temp stays below that... I don't have the noise. I installed a new 180 degree thermostat, flushed the radiator, put a bottle of Luca's Super Coolant in and my truck has been running lots cooler than before and that sound has mostly disappeared. Don't simply trust the factory temp gauge. I use an OBDII tool that gives me exact sensor data (including temp) to my android phone. The cost was negligible.

·
LadyWitaRover
2 Posts
Thank you so very much Jeff for taking the time to explain I'm new to this forum. I had my husband a few weeks back install that 180 degree thermostat you referred to (pictures below of new Thermostat) I will tell him to flush the system again and then use the Luca's coolant as well. I did hear others say that the ODBll doesn't pick up all error codes so I should take it to the dealer but I'm gonna try your idea first and use it anyway. Does it work on iPhone as well?

Thanks again :)

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Dexcool may be the reason our D2's have been eating up head gasket faster the the D1's that don't use it. It also eats up out t/stat housings as well as the coolant caps.
I had read the corrosion quality of Dexcool last week. I meant to put that out, here. I flushed, and am using the Walmart universal at $7.88 per gal. Figured I would change Tstat (the PEL500110/180 degree), cap this next week, and then hoses in March and have that hashed out by then. This one is just a winterize and further flush/conditioning intermediate. I am in Texas, the winter is not an issue. TX heat is. I have a couple things to look at. Fan upgrade. I saw one in passing, if I'm not mistaken during my coolant study.

Real quick: what do you think about the Castrol conventional, 20w-50 for here?

My grpa ran kerosine thru every engine once it hit maturity and some (100k up) and ran that with a Marvel Mystery oil and never missed work nor church. Buttermilk with cornbread in it before bed without fail as well. I helped him do it on family vehicles for years. This engine seems a likely candidate for that application (I ask with all liability on my decision sir, just opinion). I know the pat/safe answers. Just curious of yours or others' thoughts.
I bought this girl with code, Got all 4 O2 already, the other code is toward needing tune-up.

Had a brake situation also that scared me once. No sign or symptom before or since. I was pulling up to a light. Eased forward, and my pedal went to the floor. Lost all of it. Rolled real easy right thru the light about 5 mph. Then it pumped up and has been good. I watch it. I was told a vehicle that sits up, as this did, will get air in the lines due to natural temp changes, etc. And that'll cause this type incident. I intend to bleed this week. Will change fluid soon too. But she really has been driven easy. Got 135k now. Well maintained, immaculate inside and out and engine is just getting a lil rough as the wire or poo lug issue worsens. But smooth still. Very tight.

Another issue: Maybe a sensor, switch, or vac leak, yada yada (if applicable--haven't even took a second look yet--but my passenger side ac is not 'cold as' and often not at all.
And forgive me, I get lost and go on and on. But will address one at a time. I am having fun.
I figure I will know that book by the mechanic...about how to live with..on budget--it walk. A path. Journey. "and beyond!!" Not a book to read (however, it is in my Amazon cart for later. Maybe) Lol. I got 16 years of Disco2 forums to read as well as a real live one to listen to and respond to Properly. I will love her as long as she respects me. Ha. I got rid of the other woman. Lol. --That was/is not funny. Ha.
Nothing to it but to do each 'it' that arises. Your list will cut off the pass on much of the hairy potentials. I like that. Thorough. 💯! Disco music is to be moved to ✅ and for 'staying alive! 🎼🎤Ai-Ai-Ai Ai--staying alive!' 🎶🎵GROOVY 2 Me already. I do need to budgetv.
LRonly.com Get yo groove on! Dig it? Easy Sunday mornings are from Surviving Saturday Night Fever. Disco!!! A movement spanning generations. Lives on and on. I intend to stay be all-in. Fun. Or like the Reverend, '2003 Disco 2 SE7 - going to be buried in it' (beome a discotechy, or die trying)...One 'Disco Mike' list at a time (each one a year long!). Lol. He makes list longer than my posts. His are Nice&Concise, I just run-on. Over-&-Out!

It is well with my soul, JimDiscoveryng_03SE7. I was broke when I started this. If I am gonna be buried in it 'reverendALC'; I can live in it too. Settling in for the long haul. Lists and all. Disco Fever Y'all Early Monday morning.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts