Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to make a linkage for my CDL....does anyone have any input into this idea. I know some of you have done this yourself....where is the lever located that locks the diffs?

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
heres what I did, its pretty ghetto but it was nearly free and took me 3 hours to make. (hehe, I had no metal working tools, so I used a electric hand drill, wood drilling bits, a bolt cutter and a hammer) I also never ripped apart the console. I did everything with a nice flashlight, and a pocket mirror (OMG it was painful, but worth it). But hey, it was $$CHEAP$$ :clap:

Here is the pic of the CDL switch, this is being taken with my hand reaching the camera under the body and taking a pic of the front top of the transfer case;

Basically followed this idea;

And made this;

and painted it with crappy paint, then W-40ed it before and put it on (which washed off the paint completely)

Here are different views (unfortunatly nobody in my town sells nylock nuts, becuase that is what I should be using, but remember, mine was the "Qualo-job");

I pull out to engage and push in to disengage....works like a charm.

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
plastic said:
i like how you did that. I might think about something like that.

Plastic, its an essential. Supposedly it should be one of your first things (if you have it). Though so it bumper cutting and look at me *both hellas smashed, lower mesh grill crushed in, ready to fall off* "I love my bumper".

As for you drum, you have to make sure that your DII has the CDL. I was lucky to have a 01' feb., but if yours it a late model, maybe even jul-aug, it might not have the CDL, in which case you are screwed.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Not completly screwed. You can convert to a CDL. There are several manufacturers that make these now for about $300 dollars. They come with instructions. Dealership has never done one, so I am wary to convert myself. We don't have a place to try it ourselves.

I hope I am talking about the same thing you are. I am still a little new to "working" on my truck, But I am trying to learn so if I make stupid comments, pass it off to the girl in me and plz explain!

:dunno: :drink1:

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Yep, there are kits and stuff that you can get for the 01-03 DII w/o the CDL, but I was saying screwed and refering to the CA$H that it will cost for the kits compared to the $5.00 for a custom linkage.

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Hope this covers it funrover :)

EE, "Overview: The LT230SE transfer box used on the Series II Discovery is the same as the Series I. This transfer box has the latent potential to lock the front and rear driveshafts together for improved off-pavement traction (Center Differential Lock, referred to as "CDL"). If CDL is engaged when the engine is already running, then Electronic Traction Control is maintained. Otherwise, when CDL is engaged before engine start-up, tell-tale sensors feed back to the ECU, and ETC is deactivated. All that is required is to rotate the Selector Fork on the transfer box about 20 degrees clockwise to engage the lock the center differential."

basically just locks the two driveshafts so they run at the same speed, though you are still out of luck if you have a loss of traction on opposite (diagonal) tires. I wonder how good having a DII with 2 (front & rear) ARB's locked and the center locked....UBER traction maybe.

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
that's what i thought but wasn't sure.....Thanx :drink1:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.