Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am getting a small exhaust leak at the gasket where the exhaust manifold meets the intermediate pipe on the passengers side. I have known this to be a common problem in the past. On my last Disco II, due to heavy rust at the joint, I ended up breaking off both studs and had to remove the manifold, etc to get it repaired. It was a royal PITA.

Is there a secret to getting to this gasket without breaking the (2) manifold studs that connect to the interm. pipe?

·
Banned
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Am I the only one that has had 2 Disco II's with this problem?

·
Registered
234 Posts
The only secret I have is to put anti-sieze compound on the threads BEFORE you install the hardware; but that doesn't help your problem. Maybe lots and lots of break-free product and a wire brush before attempting to remove the nuts. Then slowly loosen, adding more break-free as required.

·
Banned
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bump

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Use PB Blaster (not WD40) and let it sit for a while. Clean the end of the studs off as best you can (I know, it's hard to do but try to get a small wire brush and clean off the end of the studs). Turn the nut slowly and pray!

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.