Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Manik Nerf Bars on the D1

Hi all from Adam in NYC.

Well, had to do it. If I am going to run around, especially with the family (and the old man just getting over his stroke), I gotta make the 1996 D1 fossil-friendly. I was looking for some retracting steps that could double as rock sliders but I don't think a kilo-buck kit is really available for a 1996 Discovery. Looked around.

Found the Manik nerf steps for about $200. They said no drilling. They said it was drop-in and just tighten the bolts. Right.

Thank God for great friends.

You gotta drill holes with the supplied brackets.

Okay. Sigh. :confused

You also had to do some sanding of the brackets to get them to clear some of the projections underneath there. And it just got cold out here in NY. Did I mention I live in an apartment and don't have a garage to do this stuff.

What an adventure. :confused

We worked on it for about three days. Nothing like doing an exotic dance with a huge box for about two blocks. :confused Happy as heck to lose that bulky box. Had to go to a friends workshop in his basement to buff and remove the excess so the brackers would properly fit. Had to get the proper bits and get a decent power drill to make them holes. Thank goodness for 14.4 Craftsman power drills and great friends like my buddy Fernando for almost freezing to death.

Will try to get some decent photos of the Manik steps.

Adam in NYC
:confused

·
Registered
291 Posts
I just put those same bars on my rangie, i wonder if you got the right part? mine lined up perfect with holes already drilled into the frame. Took about 45 minutes by myself, one of my friends put them on his disco and i don't think he had to drill either? :confused

·
Registered
302 Posts
98RRover said:
I just put those same bars on my rangie, i wonder if you got the right part? mine lined up perfect with holes already drilled into the frame. Took about 45 minutes by myself, one of my friends put them on his disco and i don't think he had to drill either? :confused
+1

They still suck my left nut though. All of the plastic pads drilled onto the nerf bar broke off at the ends, so sometimes they swing around at the worst times (when I'm stepping on them), or I end up slipping when I actually have to use them. :shifty:

Little tip: take those plastic pads off now before they break, and get some grip tape from a skate shop or some of those grip pads/tape that you can stick on bathtubs.

I already have the grip tape, now I just have to actually get some spare time to do it.

*sigh* back to work. :beer:

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Reply to your answer

01001010 said:
Say Adam, where'd you get the Nerf Bars and who did you speak to about the installation???
An outfit in Florida who is selling them on eBay. Here is the store on eBay:

http://stores.ebay.com/Exotic-Truck-and-Auto-Gear_W0QQssPageNameZviQ3asibQ3astoreviewQQtZkm

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...d=1,1&item=8011499483&sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT

The Nerf bars are made for the old Range Rover and the old Discovery. Shipped direct from the factory from PA. Seems that they are made from Mexico (not that I am complaining).

Just seems everything that should take 3 hours takes 3 days with me. If it wasn't for the genorosity of two friends, the bars would still be in the inside of the truck instead of outside.

Nothing like the temperature dropping and working in a stiff wind to get you motivated.

As for the installation, they thought we could drop them right quick but the supplied brackets bumped up against some of the stuff underneath. Had to do some heavy duty Dremeling to get the front brackets to clear properly. Thick steel too.

Adam in NYC :rellye

·
Registered
188 Posts

How much would shipping be to APO zip 09107 for that same set of Nerf's? I've been wanting to put some on my 96 D1 and I might throw some business your way if shipping is reasonable.

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
oberdahill said:

How much would shipping be to APO zip 09107 for that same set of Nerf's? I've been wanting to put some on my 96 D1 and I might throw some business your way if shipping is reasonable.
Hit the first URL and send them a e-mail. It would be shipping not from FL but rather PA, USA but I don't see a problem since it is to a military location. Check first.

Remember it will arrive in a huge box (7 foot high but not heavy). But I don't consider it oversize. Try shipping a Discovery windshield; that box is scary.

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
01001010 said:
Dude, I WORK IN EXOTIC TRUCK!!!...lol...you definately didnt speak to me, BUT they should have been a bolt on installation, which obviously wasnt the case. That's weird
That's okay. Owning a Land Rover is always an advanture. The best part for me besides the driving is the parking. It fits anywhere.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.