Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 97 Disco Check Engine light is on and I've replaced the gas cap. The dealer said the code is generally either the MAF sensor or an O2 sensor. The O2 sensors supposedly were replaced not too many miles back. Any suggestions on where to get a reasonably priced MAF sensor. LR wants $595 for it plus tax. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
A message from the Group.........

wade said:
My 97 Disco Check Engine light is on and I've replaced the gas cap. The dealer said the code is generally either the MAF sensor or an O2 sensor. The O2 sensors supposedly were replaced not too many miles back. Any suggestions on where to get a reasonably priced MAF sensor. LR wants $595 for it plus tax. Thanks.

Time for an education.
The dealer is talking to you like you prey. He thinks "You can see now or you can see me later". Got the mindset? I think you want to be the one on top, or no?

Two things you can do.

You can either go to an AutoZone and have them read your ECU with a codereader for free or you get a codereader, use this device to lookup the codes, and then you decide if the dealer is your friend or fiend.

The gas gap on the 97 would not turn on the Check Engine Light. Until you get your own private look in what is going on, and get a reasonable edumcation on the deal, you are going to get screwed.

Don't know who to ask?

You DO. ITS HERE. You got half the battle licked.

Get the Codereader and write them codes down. Feed off our brains. Whip out the big spoon.

FYI. I got the greatful look on one of my female coworkers. She has an Oldsmobile Intrege with a couple of bad O2 sensors and a old MAF sensor. The "nice auto mechanic" said she needed a nice computer. Five minutes with the codereader and looking like the Mighty God of Thor, I found out that she had two old o2 sensors and a MAF about to go to parts heaven.

Okay, My codereader does look like a big hammer but it does its job and you get popular with the ladies.

Here is a cheap one on the Net: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...41-2999043?_encoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=15684181

Adam in NYC

·
Getting the mud off.....
961 Posts
What specifically are the codes the ECU is throwing?

If you don't know, go to A-zone or the like and get your codes read.

We'll try & help, but we really need the codes. SEVERAL different problems can throw the same code(s)............oh, how I wish it were otherwise.

BTW, a good mechanic (even at the dealer) will tell you what codes are being thrown if asked. You likely paid approx. $90 to have your computer read (check your receipt) so purchasing an OBD2 read quickly makes a lot of sense.

-B

·
Registered
38 Posts
Adam in NYC USA said:

Time for an education.
The dealer is talking to you like you prey. He thinks "You can see now or you can see me later". Got the mindset? I think you want to be the one on top, or no?

Two things you can do.

You can either go to an AutoZone and have them read your ECU with a codereader for free or you get a codereader, use this device to lookup the codes, and then you decide if the dealer is your friend or fiend.

The gas gap on the 97 would not turn on the Check Engine Light. Until you get your own private look in what is going on, and get a reasonable edumcation on the deal, you are going to get screwed.

Don't know who to ask?

You DO. ITS HERE. You got half the battle licked.

Get the Codereader and write them codes down. Feed off our brains. Whip out the big spoon.

FYI. I got the greatful look on one of my female coworkers. She has an Oldsmobile Intrege with a couple of bad O2 sensors and a old MAF sensor. The "nice auto mechanic" said she needed a nice computer. Five minutes with the codereader and looking like the Mighty God of Thor, I found out that she had two old o2 sensors and a MAF about to go to parts heaven.

Okay, My codereader does look like a big hammer but it does its job and you get popular with the ladies.

Here is a cheap one on the Net: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...41-2999043?_encoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=15684181

Adam in NYC
Ok so what is the best way to clean the MAF sensor? One other dumb question, where is the ECU located? My check engine light just came on too.

Thanks,
Kyle

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MAF sensor and codes

I have an OBDII reader and the codes are P1176 and P1178. I cleaned the contacts on my MAF with electronics cleaner, but it didn't help. I think the O2 sensors were changed just prior to my purchasing the vehicle. I suppose it could be one of the units on the coil pack...I'm not sure how to check. Thanks for y'alls help.

BTW..it is difficult to find terain here in Texas worthy of a Land Rover, but I found a pretty good hill. See the attached photo.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.