Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all!
I have a question that I hope someone may know. I am currently putting my engine back together after replacing head gaskets and valve cleaning. My engine is a Gem V8 4.0 and what I was wondering is since my MAF is stock and old, would anyone know if there may be an alternative sensor that I could use or a site that sells the sensor more cost effectively?

Thank you all and looking forward to your wisdom ^_^.

·
Premium Member
1,478 Posts
The MAF sensor for petrol V8 engine engine is too important to mess with cheap aftermarket alternatives as the whole fuelling stoichiometric calculations are based on it's inputs... better bite the bullet and buy genuine or take the risk to have driveabiity issues, your choice, google out ERR5595 and choose what you want

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ouch!
Well then I shall see on google or Atlantic British (good stuff they got :D)

Thank you for your input. I seriously think my high idle issue is due to the MAF. My engine screams up to 2000 rpms when started, then drops down to fairly normal rpms when I put it in D or R. Now when I spray cleaner in the MAF the idling is pretty much normal. Hence my curiosity about any alternatives and such.

·
Expert Crate Digger
211 Posts
Like Fery said you don't want to go cheap on a MAF sensor.
For a great Disco 2 Bosch made MAF runs about $65-$80 so I don't know what a Disco 1 MAF for a GEMS would run you.

·
Premium Member
1,478 Posts

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Hate to ask a silly question, but did you have the heads checked for warping before replacing the gaskets? This week another poster in a new thread did not and suffered another blown head gasket.

·
Expert Crate Digger
211 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We used a straight edge to check the heads. It looked good, so did the cylinders. I believe I am ok, when my pops and I took it apart we found alot of bolts that where loose as if they where hand tightened (not headbolts of course.)

And thank you @JUKE179r for your recommendation.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I had the same high idle issue.

Started high and went down when in gear but park or neutral it revved high. For me it was the TPS but I'd recommend spraying some MAF cleaner anyway.

Be carful on the TPS screws. For me both heads broke off on mine which was fine because the sensor can pull right off and used plyers to unscrew the bottom and got replacements.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts