Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a 96 DISCO 1 a couple of weeks ago and it appears that my MAF is fried or is about to. Last weekend it showed up as a fault on rovacom. The prev owner oiled the wrong side of the KN filter and subsequently forced oil residue onto the sensor....anyhow the engine now has aa hard time idling and wants to cut out...also has a hard time starting sometiems. Occaisionally the is no response at all..nothing.. when I turn the key and then sometimes it turns over fine. I was thinking I had a loose power connection of some sort

We cleaned the MAF with some brake cleaner and dried it out as well as cleaning the air filter and the fault dissappeared for a while and is now back :mad:

There is no way I cna buy a new sensor right now...too much dinero. Does anyone have any alternatives?

PS Sorry my Train a of thought is outta wack...I;m way tired.

·
Registered
321 Posts
i don't know what in brake cleaner but you might want to try some electronic parts cleaner... it's got alcohol and other crap like that that might get rid of the oil.. you might also want to spray some in your ducts and if the prev owner oiled the wrong side, you might still have oil in the ducts which might still get to the MAFS....
take care
sam

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Rinse out your air filter.....

You have too much of the cleaning oil in your air filter. Follow the instructions on the aerosol can. I believe you may have to rinse the oil out of the filter and allow it to dry. Do the cleaning again and do as per the instructions.

Since you have too much oil, the engine has to work harder trying to draw air thru a damp air filter. If you are operating in a clean environment, you could start the vehicle and let the vacuum clean up the MAF sensor for a short time. Move the throttle and rev it up . I use intaker cleaner that you can spray into the MAF sensor and air tubing. It will evaporate quickly after wetting and removing the cleaning oil out of the MAF.

Adam

:drive:

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
Go back to the guy with the Rovacom and see just what the MAF sensor is doing. What you have described is consistent with other things, more common than MAF sensor failures.

Sometimes, they can be recovered by cleaning, but rarely. Brake cleaner is fine, it dries clean, Carb cleaner might not.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Scary Lucas II... the return

Thanks everyone for the replies to my cry for help. After the last post I went to bed only to wake up to a puddle of PS fluid on my garage floor. No previous leaks from this area at all.. Spent most of the day at work trying to think of how I got to be so lucky :confused . The PS reservoir was completely empty. The only thing that I could think of was that I had revved the engine pretty hard the night before to try and get it to hold idle without trying to stall out...which it did (hold idle) and afterwards I thought to myself why in the hell did I do that because it didn't make any sense :homerthum . Maybe I exasberated(spelling problem) one of the hoses or something. Or maybe the fluid spurted out of the vent hole in the cap. No such luck...I still have to look really hard yet but I think maybe the steering box is the culprit which I don't understand because it hasn't leaked again...yet.

Sooo...I got a used MAS and installed that, cleaned up my puddle and refilled the PS reservoir(which has not leaked now for over 24 hrs). Of course it started up fine and drove fine to work. I stopped at my inlaws on the way. Went to start it up again and Mr. Lucas was sitting in the back seat with a revolver in my ribs telling me to shutup and don't drive.

As I mentioned in the prev post sometimes when I turn the key it seems like a half ass connection. The CD player will start clicking away and sometimes the locks actuate on ther own and I'll gett like half a turn out of the starter. Then I'll back off the key and try it again and it cranks fine with no probs :dunno: .

Any ideas on that issue would be of great help. The air filter is completely clean and reconditioned with a very light caot of oil and seems to be doing fine.

Here's to Friday :drink1:

·
Registered
7 Posts
So its clicking when you turning key, but not cranking over? That'll be not quite enough charge in battery or very corroded/loose connection on terminals.

Battery may discharge badly due leaks, due being bad, or b/c alternator bastardazing whole thing :)

I wouldnt really blame MAF just yet :)

·
Registered
454 Posts
Sounds like a battery to me too.

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Check the starter....

see if your fluid spill made it over to the starter. Clean your hi-amp electrical connections on your battery and the starter. If it is bright and shiny, great. Remember to coat the new connections with vasoline oil to keep it clean.

Let us know what happens :buttrock:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks... will do..I don't think the spill made it over to the starter btu that's a good point I'll check it out... :djparty:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts