Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I apologize if this topic has already been exhaustively covered, but I wasn't able to find the exact answer to my question...

What is the largest tire, on 16x8 steel rims, that I can safely install, without lifting my Disco II? I'm really not looking for the width of the tire, just the outer diameter. I've heard 32's will fit, but I just want to be sure before I order $1000 in rubber.

I've been looking at the 265/75/16... Thoughts?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
A 245/75/16 is as big as you can go without having to trim your bumpers and fenders.
Why do you want a 32" tall tire, it will cost you 1.5 MPG and a loss of low end power/torque.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, I didn't realize that the mpgs and power would take a hit like that. The idea behind the larger tire was strictly for a slight increase in ground clearance, but it's not necessary, especially since I don't get off the tarmac as often as I'd like. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Wow, I didn't realize that the mpgs and power would take a hit like that. The idea behind the larger tire was strictly for a slight increase in ground clearance, but it's not necessary, especially since I don't get off the tarmac as often as I'd like. Thanks for the help!
I second Disco Mike here. 245/75r16 is as big as you're going to want to go.

However, try not to make the same mistake I did. I purchased tires thinking I wasn't going to lift, now i'm at at 3.5 on 245/75r16 and regretting that decision every day!

Reactions: CeeGeez

·
Registered
83 Posts
They rub?!

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
A 265/70 is a shorter, slightly narrower tire and as long as you don't go wheeling, you might not rub too much.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
I said it is narrower then a 265/75 not a 245/75.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had 31"x10.5" tires on 15" steel wheels on a 2001 DII with no rubbing- (There was a thread on this topic), as well as 275/70 tires on the stock 16" wheels with no rubbing.

Despite what these guys say on here, they WILL fit, but they are right about the MPG's, as you will notice a drop.

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
Suspension for sure

·
very disco
2,740 Posts
How low profile? I had 20x10 with 275/45/20 tires with no issues, but the true tell is the actual size of the tire

1 - 19 of 19 Posts