Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My local tyre dealer is starting to offer off road tyres and they are going to be selling a brand called Maxus. I've never come across them. Any reviews anyone? They seem to have a good tread pattern and are well priced but I don't know what ply they are.

·
Wheeler
1,843 Posts
Maxxis makes phenomenal tires. But they are very pricey. Their top of the line rock crawling tire is the Creepy Crawler and it's awesome. Outstanding traction both forward & laterally. They do an excellent job of clinging to rocks. I was driving behind someone on a trail recently w/ Maxxis's crawlers and was very impressed. They also make a Trepador (sp?) in both bias & radial. While I have not seen or driven the radial, the tread pattern & sidewall tread seems to mimic their typical approach to an off-road tire, slightly toned down.

The problem, of course, is the price. For significantly less, you could get a number of solid radial off-road tires. Depending on your terrain: BFG, GY-MT/R, TrxUs, ProComp X-Terrain, etc. The new prototype BFG M/T is Krawler inspired and looks promising. Or if you're going bias, Interco has several offerings that will perform comparably for less than 1/2 the price of the Maxxis (TSL-SX's and LTBs come to mind). The LTB is probably the best value bias tire out there right now, in LR-friendly sizes, with more sizes going into production soon.

·
Wheeler
1,843 Posts
Dunno but should be soon. They are already out there in the form of advance issues and sponsorship to get some buzz going. You'll see 'em from time to time in the 4x4 mags. I know Nathan at Pangea has a set, not sure if he's got pics on the site yet.

I'm not sure they represent a significant performance improvement,,, it's more good marketing to piggy back on the success of the Krawler. But I'm sure they will perform at least as good as the current MT/KMs. Will be interesting to see how they are priced.

·
These pretzels are making me thirsty
317 Posts
I had Maxxis tires on my Chevy 1500. I had some of their sport truck tires called Marauders, purely for on-road. But man did I like them. Grippy as hell when driving fast. Anyway, I loved 'em. Can't speak for anything off-road tho.

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
Just went down to Big O to see their new XT's. They are called XT Owls. After seeing them, I'm not sure I like them that much. Although they are big time siped, I thought the pattern was too close together. Plus it was $1050 for 5 tires mounted and balanced (265/75/16).

·
Registered
854 Posts
roverX said:
Just went down to Big O to see their new XT's. They are called XT Owls. After seeing them, I'm not sure I like them that much. Although they are big time siped, I thought the pattern was too close together. Plus it was $1050 for 5 tires mounted and balanced (265/75/16).
The price they quoted me was 240 per tire before mounting and balancing. F that. That was for 245-75-16.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.