Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The dealer has my rig and I think he might try to hose me! I've had my '03 for about 2 months (1,200 mi) and it has 13K total on the clock. I brought it to the dealer b/c the engine (idiot) light is on. While it's there tomorrow i want the brakes checked out. They grab quick and the pedal goes down pretty far, it seems, and when i occasionally have to brake hard there's some squeaking noise just as i'm coming to a stop. I've never owned a rover before, but this just seems like pads to me.
Mr Service Mgr started talking rotors without even looking at it! They don't shimmy like they're warped, no grinding at all. It's got 13k miles! The previous owner lived in the mountains of NC so i don't exactly know how hard it's been driven brakes-wise. Can anybody lend me a bit of help here?

·
Former LR tech, Albany NY
2,437 Posts
You could have lot rot but I wouldnt worry about it. At 13k its just added brake dust buildup. NOthing to really worry about. And it does go down far.
NO need to stick to aftermarket stuff. Its a waste of money until they are worn completely down.
Just stick to the recommended service intervals and rotate the tires.

and check engine lites can be anything. Dont be upset. Its the easiest way to diagnose problems as well.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
They warranteed the wiper blades on one of my 04's. :D

It's possible to have worn pads that early.. but not common. If the pads are thin, slap some on and go. Leave the rotors...

The "check engine" lamp would concern me more than the brakes. Hopefully nothing major. Mine had a burned up spark plug wire at 27K that cause the flashing MIL.

·
Former LR tech, Albany NY
2,437 Posts
You cant warrantee wipers. more then likely the sales dept or service picked them up after they realized they screwed up.

Although if they word it right they can sometimes let it slip by the warantee company. but that goes for any manufacturer. You can make more money with your pen then your wrench when it comes to warantee.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I drove 8/10 of a mile the first day i had it before the engine light came on. Burnt plug wire. The next light came on intermittently about 2 weeks later. Neutral safety switch (i think) >> with the engine light on and the manual and sport mode lights and the gear indicator all flashing. Piston on the rear step pooped out. It's been eventful ownership thus far. Who knows what else they'll find in the morning, but i'm sure glad it's under warranty. It appears the seal around the window on the rear door is leaking. Would that be warrantied? Is it a wearable part? I just hope these are some bugs that'll get worked out.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Hey I know it can be a little frustrating at times but from my experience the people in the service dept are pretty knowledgable guys who know all of the typical issues and problems.

I would be upfront and honest with these guys...but not confrontational.

I am now on my 3rd land rover since 1999, I got to know the guys at the dealership thru dealer offroad events and they go out of their way to keep good customers happy.
You may have bought a used truck this time .......but they know if they keep you happy your next new truck will be from them also.

·
Artist
90 Posts
don't let them do your brakes

Unless your ready to bend over and take it in the pocket book don't let them touch your brakes unless they are covering it... I had my brakes done at the dealership when I first got my rover and paid a crap load.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As it turns out brakes are ok. They say the rear rotors are "very badly pitted" and will eventually need to be replaced to stop the squeaking. I was told when i bought it that it wasn't driven that much b/c the owner split time between states and London.

If it sat for long periods of time and aquired the pitting can i expect that they might "smooth out" a little? I asked about resurfacing the rotors and they said they don't do that. Is that true?

I hate to sound so skeptical of the dealer, but i've had some run-ins with other (non-Rover) dealers in the past. BUT they've been real cool each of the first 3 times i've been there in the last 2 months. Maybe i just need some time to adjust to the lr way. :D

·
Registered
622 Posts
I have an 03 Disco and it has spent over two weeks at the dealer in the last three months. I know your feeling right now. However, to tell you the truth, I love this rig better than any other vehicle I've ever owned even though it has had more problems than the other 15 or so vehicles I've owned combined. The Rover lifestyle is the most exciting in my opinion, even if some rover owners only use theirs to go to the mall. :D

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
They are correct, turning rotors isn't done on Rovers. If the rotors are pitted and making noise- pull the rear wheel, slip the pads out, take a brass wire wheel on a drill and apply a non-directional finish to the rotors, wash them with soap and water, reinstall pads. Works EVERY time. Throw a non-squeal coating on the pads while you're in there. The stuff is $4 at the car parts store.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Steve- Thanks for the help. Before i try that squeak solution this weekend (cape cod weather permitting), what is a non-directional finish?
Bernardmann- I too love this lr even though it's needed more shop time than i expected. I searched a long time for this one (low mileage & low $) and i'm looking forward to many good times and many miles in this one. Best, Rand

·
Registered
229 Posts
CC Disco said:
Steve- Thanks for the help. Before i try that squeak solution this weekend (cape cod weather permitting), what is a non-directional finish?
Bernardmann- I too love this lr even though it's needed more shop time than i expected. I searched a long time for this one (low mileage & low $) and i'm looking forward to many good times and many miles in this one. Best, Rand
He is saying to go side to side with the wire wheel as opposed to going with the circular direction of the disc ( Perpindicular ) or a reasonable facsimile
there of ? :eek: :confused

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Just run the brush over the surface in a random fashion so there's no pattern to it.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
ok- let's try this way

run the brush on the rotor one way, then another, then another so the surface ain't got no straight lines or nuttin...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.