Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since this is only my second time dealing with a mechanic and my first time was just a month or so ago . . . how long is long enough to wait for the mechanic to call back with a diagnosis? I had my rover towed to the mechanic last Monday, called Tuesday to make sure it got there okay and that he found my notes okay and since then nothing. I figured since it was the week before Christmas and all I probably wouldn't get my rover back before then, but I thought it would at least be looked at by now. I told myself I would wait until Wednesday to call if I hadn't heard anything, but now I'm getting irritated (rover withdrawl is setting in). :dunno:

· Registered
128 Posts
Some mechanics don't like British trash. Some mechanics don't like Rovers. Some mechanics don't like old stuff. Some mechanics don't like being referred to as mechanics. Some mechanics don't like you. Take your pick. A week is fair, but it was a holiday.
Truth be known, if your classic was towed into our dealership, it'd sit at least a week on average, as we have customer work that comes first. Not that you're not a customer, but the people who purchased from us have priority over those who did not. If you were stranded on the road, that's a different story. Then we get creative.
You need to find someone who likes Rovers. It's a rare breed. You find a wrench who likes Rovers, you get put before the mundane ****, simply because they enjoy it.
Go check up on your truck and bring beer. Donuts work, but beer works better. You'll get a call the next day.

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks . . .

but I have no way of taking him beer because I don't have a vehicle that can make a trip that far right now (50 miles). I'm currently packing my two little kids into my 1987 Suzuki Samurai that has transmission problems (can't find anyone to fix that either).

· Premium Member
10,167 Posts
It takes awhile if they are busy...... Did you take it to a dealer? if so they should set you up in a loaner!!

· Premium Member
3,225 Posts
Most dealerships don't have enough loaners for their warranty customers, so if you're driving something out of warranty, better have a backup plan. Only time I ever see a classic, and now, even an S1 Disco, it's at the back of the lot. Dealership's service departments are, regretably, tied up working for LRNA, and not the poor slob driving something out of date, style, and warranty(unless, they have a new RR at home in the garage, and even then, probably come in with a case of beer to schmooze the guys to get them to move their baby up the list.
While it isn't true at all shops, most dealership techs who can't solve the problem with Rovacom or AutoLogic, simply can't solve the problem, period. Being ACE qualified, doesn't imply they came out of school with the experience to diagnose without $10 grand worth of testbook. As a guy progesses and gets better at the older stuff, he becomes more valuable to the independant shops, and dealerships won't match the pay because there are 20 more guys looking for a job, who don't need to be as good because the dealership is going to get paid, whatever the quality of their wrok, by LRNA.

I know you took your Classic to an Indy, and hopefully he turns out to be good. If he is, then waiting may be all you can do, his livelyhood and backlog is what it is because he is good. Under ideal circumstances, the guy will call you with his diagnosis, and time estimate, but life ain't perfect, and sometime it takes as long to find the problem as it does to rectify it. The good thing about Rover's poor quality issues is that most qualified mechanics have seen the problem so many times, they can diagnose it in their sleep. It's only the truely weird stuff that drives even the best of them buggy. Some good dealer techs moonlight also.

· Registered
33 Posts
whats wrong with it any way? you never mentioned that.
I agree with these guys.the problem at dealers is the turn around with techs is so high they dont know anything about these ten year old vehicles.since FORD took over they also dumped classic parts into a special program that veary few dealers went for. Forget about the local garage they usually do more damage than good,Get out some tools and do it your self man.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.