Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, you are reading this right, I have been told I melted my engine.

I am in desperate need of assistance and knowledge of safety features on the 5.0 LR4 engine.

My (short) story: 2010 LR4 HSE LUX with 93k on the odometer. Had vehicle serviced at local Land Rover 9 days prior. Took family trip, traveling on highway vehicle threw an alarm that it need coolant, and t-stat guage went from normal operating to pegged out hot instantaneously. Within less than 90 seconds engine and vehicle reported alert on screen of "reducing power." I found my way to the side of the highway. I purchased the Land Rover/Jaguar super extended warranty which still has 3,500 miles on it. Upon getting it to a Land Rover dealership, I was advised that the engine has safety mechanisms in place to avoid catostrophic failure. I need information of the accuracy and what exactly these mechanisms are supposed to do.

I've been advised that the warranty company will not cover the cost of the $15,000 engine and they will only cover the water pump. Their claim is that I ran the vehicle way too far and caused the catostrophic failure.

This is the reason I am looking for what "protectants" are put in place. I am in desperate need for help, any help and/or advice, and/or direction.
:complain::mad::eek:

· Registered
6 Posts
Wow. That's the worst issue I've come across in years. First thing that flashed at me was that you had it service only a few days earlier. What did you have (or what was supposedly) done? Dealership I imagine?

Your LR did exactly what is was supposed to do. Unless you had it running say 5-10 min or more after the messages and warnings came on I would be strongly skeptical major engine damage was done. Sounds very fishy to me. What did it do when it was attempted to be restarted after it was cold?

While not my LR3, I had a Tacoma in a previous life. Almond many things in installed was electric fans. They stopped working in the woods riding. Not sure how long. I stopped when I noticed smoke and steam coming from under the hood. Coolant was boiling in the overflow and a handful of wire sheaths had melted. Ended repairing what was broke and it ran another 80k miles until I sold it. The current owner just hit 300k. (Sorry for bringing that Toyota mess on here).

I the end I am leaning to the possibility that the shop you took it to screwed up some of the service work and they are at fault. That would mean that they are correct about one thing. It wouldn't be under warranty and they sure as hell don't want to pay for it. Their next step is to point the finger at you.

would be calling another LR dealership Monday morning first thing. A second opinion is strongly advised. With all of the electronics under the hood , that extreme heat could make a whole number issues. Even not restarting.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

· Super Trooper
1,176 Posts
You would be better off getting the requested info from a LR dealership. Document, document, document. Names of who you spoke with, dates, times, topic of discussion, etc. It will look better when you're explaining things and where you got your info from then saying "some guy on an online forum said *blank*".

Your warranty company and LR are going to, as you have already figured out, try whatever they can to pay the least amount of money. They will push the blame on anyone and everything to avoid paying. This is typical insurance robbery - take every penny they can from you and do everything under the sun to not have to give a single penny back to you for any reason.

Most modern vehicles will go into a limp home mode where the engine is de-fueled and transmission gears and engine RPMs are reduced or restricted. I can't imagine your LR4 having any addition safety systems than this.

I don't envy the position you're in. Good luck.

Colin

· Registered
217 Posts
That is why I never use shops to have work done. I do it myself and know when and where problems are. Never have trusted other shops. Worked for a shop once and saw first hand the new generation of techs. Cannot trust them.

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to all, more help the better.
I had it serviced at my local land Rover dealership, emphasizing that I was taking a road trip and needed it looked over well. They gave me a clear bill of health and sent me on my way. I believe my next step is an attorney. With the vehicle being 900 miles away I'm in a "pickle! "Any help or expert advice as to what this super special sealed jag engine is or is not supposed to do would be great. Thanks again.

· Registered
101 Posts
If a driver decides to continue on their way with no engine oil and or no coolant, I very much doubt there is any system that can force them to pull over and save the engine ;-)

You mentioned the temp gauge and a a warning in the display - but the key question is going to be, how much longer did you continue to drive on before pulling over to investigate? Were you able to determine if all of the coolant had gone ? You may be advised to get an independent engineer (rather than an attorney) to review the current damage and what could or could not have caused it. If it can be shown the water pump caused collateral damage then (depending on the small print) the warranty company may have to change their tune. But, if you drove for ten miles with lights and warnings on the dash, your case is badly compromised if you believe the engine would look after itself.

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Land Rover sales and service=BAD

To answer and follow up.

No, Land Rover Las Vegas is adamant that they can not get PCM codes without replacing the entire engine. I spoke with Land Rover USA and received a call from the rep there, stating he spoke to service manager, and was informed of the same: ie; they can not get the PCM codes until engine in completely replaced. And that Land Rover USA can not force/persist any dealer to do anything as they are all independently owned and operated.

So, as I LOVE LOVE LOVE my old Disco II, this LR4 is the bain of my existence. Or, if I be logical, Land Rover Las Vegas is. Poor vehicle has nothing to do with it, but it definately puts a sour taste in my mouth.

With the vehicle aver 900 miles away, all I can do is sell the vehicle to the devil (Land Rover Las Vegas.) They want $3,000 for the tear down cost, and for me to get the vehicle transported here ($$$$$), then put $15,000 in for a new engine, then, then, then..... I can't see any positive attribute of putting that kind of money into a vehicle, any vehicle in hopes to spend even more trying to fight with the extended warranty that bears their name.
:moon::moon::moon::moon::moon::moon::moon::moon::dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno::confused:confused:confused:confused:confused:help:help:help:help:help:help:mad::mad::mad::mad::bawling::bawling::bawling::bawling::bawling::bawling::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

· Registered
4,797 Posts
First off, if my experience is any indication, attorneys DO contact folks on internet forums and hire them as expert witnesses.

Second, if you did as you've described, it "should" be covered either by the dealer or the insurance company. The dealership has insurance for this issue.

As for not being able to read the DTC until the engine is replaced, is unadulterated bullshit. I am a professional diagnostician and diagnostic platform salesman and can unequivocally state that there is no reason they cannot query the various control units to determine the status. What info that might offer remains to be seen as this is a brute-force issue, not a logic/control issue.

While employed by a dealer, I received a call from a woman telling me there was a light on the dash that looked like an old oil can... I told her to pull over and stop, we'd send a tow truck and new Rangie for her and her kids. Her LR3 was so new, it hadn't been in for its first service yet!

She refused and eventually drove to the dealership in a cloud of smoke, jumped out of the truck and said "Boy am I glad it's under warranty".

The service manager calmly explained this was abuse, not covered, and that she was on the hook for the loan payments and the repairs. He told her that she'd been told by a Land Rover service professional to pull over and she chose to continue.

But, your situation doesn't sound like that and IMO you are owed being made whole by the dealership as there is a strong presumption the failure was due to something done during their recent servicing.

1,855 Posts
You should look into the fact that early 2010 LR4's had issues with water pumps a few of these cars were considered Lemons in California, because it took too long for Land Rover to have the part replaced. Check to make sure ur LR4 is part of the ones that had faulty Water Pumps,
Good Luck!
Dave

· Registered
69 Posts
Its really too bad that we don't have a better LR dealer here in LV. The great thing about living in NJ when I had 2 Discovery's was that the dealers really wanted your business and took care of anything that they could. I've never heard anything good about LRLV. Best of luck with resolving your motor issue.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.