Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was just reading Serg's thread about how to make the site better, and one member mentioned starting a monthly newsletter with articles written by LRO members. I think that's a great idea and so I am posting an article I wrote one day while on patrol on my ship in the north atlantic. I hope everyone enjoys reading it. Maybe it will get the ball rolling on a new branch of this already awesome website. Here it is:

Going to sea for extended periods often means a person must do without the comfort the land provides. One of the things I miss most about being on dry land is my Land Rovers. While I can take several things from home to sea with me, by definition one of the things that I can't is a Land Rover. Therefor I must rely on my stock of magazines, pictures and imagination to provide me with the stimulation provided by my birmabright beasts. Having a satelite connection to the internet allows me to communicate via messageboards with my fellow rover enthusiasts but it just isn't the same as being there. This, I feel has brought my appreciation for the marque to a higher level than it did in my civilian days. My ship is built in much the same way as a Land Rover, a giant meccano set that floats and has guns on it. It also breaks down frequently, being over 40 years old and in constant service. Working on diesel engines the size of a Defender 130 has its perks, but it is not as fun as turning wrenches under the bonnett of a series IIA. Since Joining the US Coast Guard, I have traveled to several interesting places throughout the world. The best part is I get to visit countries where land rovers are common not as high end conveyances but as tools to help people with their daily routines and often times are worked very hard. In my civilian days, My primary places of travel were from my home in northern Connecticut to various places throughout the northeast. The days of cheap gas meant that my trusty 93 Range Rover LWB, the Jolly Green Giant, took me to far off places (by new england standards) on a whim. I remember one trip that was concieved and planned in the early morning without prior notice and embarked only a few short minutes later to Greenville, Maine, some 6.5 hours away. While I only made $9 per hour taking care of dogs in a boarding kennel, I still found myself devoting nearly 100% of my pay to various rover-related follies such as trips and off roading accessories. While this kind of random travel isn't possible anymore, due in part to my active duty military status as well as gasoline prices that threaten to drain the wallet as well as the soul, I still have the urge to travel. Being a cutterman eases this urge to travel to places far and wide somewhat but places of visit are limited by operational considerations. In my off time I find myself cruising through the pages of the stack of Land Rover mags I always stock up on before a patrol. On this last port call dad drove his Defender 110 out to Rhode Island to bring me the latest issue of the Rovers North news, something which pleased me immensly. While browsing these pages I am usually dreaming of the next modification to my Discovery XD, or what type of series rover I'd like to own next. I've settled on an ex-MOD 109 ambulance as my planned expedition vehicle. Having owned three series rovers, I feel that one of these wonderfuly simple examples of engineering genious is the perfect vehicle for me. My dad, who drove a series IIA for years, is trying to convince me that I am crazy to want to drive a series rover in todays crazy traffic world. When he tells me this I simply remind me that he traded in his Ford Explorer and spent two years restoring a burned out defender 110 and now drives it as his daily driver. This usually brings him back to reality and backs up my assertion that a series rover is really not that uncivilised, if you know how to deal with their perks. I drove a Range Rover classic for four years before switching to a Discovery XD and have disassembled and partially reassembled two 88's so I feel sure that I can take whatever a series rover can dish out on a daily basis. If this proves to not be the case, who cares? I'm at sea half the year anyway so I've no right to complain about little car problems. Somehow breaking a half shaft on a back road in Vermont doesn't seem like such a bad thing compared to having propellor problems in 30 foot waves off the Grand Banks.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Serg said:
Awesome... I will feature this on the front page of the site!

Serg
Sweet! I am on deployment again so I may have some more time to write some more blurbs. I have several others that I've written, But they need a lot of work before I will want to post them. Hopefully other members will do the same and we can have a new section to the forums.

·
LRO Founder
2,006 Posts
Ok.. you're on the front page.. If anyone else wants to write, please do and I will post them as well. All I ask is that you come up with a title and try to break your stories into several paragraphs... not pickin on you AAXD!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.