Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
4,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well guys, I finally uploaded and resized some of the pics from last weekend's campout at Jonatha Dickinson Park in Jupiter, Florida.

This is our campsite, my tent is on the far right.

Got this thing, with 2 chairs, a cooler, 4 cup sleeves, and 4 sleeping bags for $88 in Walmart, gotta love it!

Some of our neighbors :D

In Building-infested Miami, you dont get to see much of this...

...ESPECIALLY not this!

I think this was the flatest portion of the 12-mile Expert bike trail

Me on the left, and my younger buddy Billy on the right about to pass out in 92 degree Florida heat...

The heat got to me too, I ended up becomming severely dehidrated and had to be carried back to camp on the back of a fellow camper's truck after throwin myself on the side of the road and getting a full-body cramp :shifty:

Later though, I regained energy and went back to the trail, in the back you can see Billy also made it. We went into some of the closed off trails that were badly damaged by the 4 Hurricanes last summer. Here I'm setting up for a short downhill ride with a steep exit...

Steep Exit :buttrock:

My friend Chang :buttrock:

Some trail I spotted from the observation tower, didnt get to wheel it though, didnt look like much of anything anyway

Damn flat-ass Florida!

Ending the day on a positive note :D

My buddy billy fell off one of the many foot-wide bridges that send riders over Cypress trees. For those who know, cypress leaves SUCK, and the exposed pine-apple looking roots suck just as bad, well, Billy caught them on his way down... WARNING! bad cut

·
4,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Im heading to Oleta Park this Sunday to hit some more Bike trails, I'll have some pictures and videos for you all. I have Videos of last weekend, just tryin to figure out how to post them.

·
4,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
heehee, yep that's a gator, but our campsites were really not near the swampy areas

Here's another, and since this is a state park, the mating gators and pups get put into a somewhat-fenced (its only a piece of maybe 30 foot long fence that seperates them from the road ) area for "proctection". One could easily just go around, and so can they :eek: ...

·
Wheeler
1,843 Posts
FL camping

Man, I remember camping in FL,,, brutal. Mosquito attacks on a nightly basis. Full fledged mass bombing raids,,, ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz in your ears all night. Legs covered in welts. There's only a few things that concern me about moving back east,,,one of 'em is the bugs. No bugs in CO. The NE isn't as bad as the SE, but those damn mosquitos!! Anyone who camps in FL is hard core. The gators, snakes, spiders, centipedes, ants, & misc creepy crawlies are nothing,,,, but those damn mosquitos will CARRY YOU AWAY

·
4,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mosquitos is mainly south FLA, In Central FlA the ones you have to worry about are the Horse Flies, having them land on you is painful enough because the feet are like little knives, then add the Bite-factor, those suckers stay ON THERE!!, they dont shoo, you have to pick them off you. We have all kinds of snakes, we got Gators AND Crocks, GBald eagles that will carry little kids away (..lol, not really but I'm sure that if they wanted to they could) and Angry Crows that will peck the hell outta ya if you have any food. ANd of course, Raccoon, damn bastards broke into my tent and tore up a feather pillow my buddy had, it was a mess. The morning after were coughin up balled-up feathers. There are also these other ones, dont remember their names but they were small enough to get through the nets on the tent, that they bite worse than mosqts. If you look closely at picture 8 you can see my arm covered in bites.

·
Wheeler
1,843 Posts
Man,,,flashbacks. When I was a kid I lived in S Florida for a little while. I was in the Boy Scouts. But it wasn't like Boy Scouts today,,,with scoutmasters that look like Santa & kids that look like elves. It was like the freakin' special forces. Our scoutmaster was a former Marine drill instructor & it was like a death march every weekend,,, :D

So we did this survival training where we were randomly deposited, solo, out in the middle of the freakin' swamps,,,I'm not making this up (it was before the lawyers took over America,,we even had actual knives and learned how to shoot actual guns,,,),,, I remember setting up my little solo improvised shelter and campground, and hunkering down for the night, tentless. I had repellent,, but there was no repellent in the world that would keep away hungry mosquitos in the middle of a swamp zooming in on fresh blood. It was, along with the time I drank more than the alloted limit of 3 margaritas as the Rio in Ft. Collins, one of the worst nights of my life.

Speaking of the Rio, there's a sign on the wall that says "Margaritas: Limit Three". They are not kidding. I don't know what they put in those things but I snuck a few more thru "straw buyers". I was on a business trip & passed out that night on my hotel bed with the world spinning, in full battle gear (pin stripe, cuff link, etc). Woke up the next morning with my suitcoat, dress shoes, & tie still on,,,lol. Damn that was rough.

·
4,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
HAHA...man, those scouts were like that until not too long ago, I too was in the scouts from kinder- 4th grade i think, and we had a psycho outdoorsy computer geek as a scoutmaster..lol We were also supplied with knives.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.