Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it possible, the Gelandewagens are similar in size as the defenders and I was wondering if that would be feasible? I know for fact that it would prolly require a merc transmission :dunno: but just for kicks, i was just wondering if such a thing would be? any thoughts on it??? more specifically the G270 with a 2.7l inline 5 turbo diesel, that produces 156 hp, and 294 lbs-ft of torque or the G320 with a 3.2l v6 diesel that produces 215 hp and 220 lbs-ft torque or the G400 with a 4.0l v8 diesel that produces 250 hp and 411lbs-ft of torque, which is way more than Rover Diesels and more than the 2.8 hs Diesel offered on some defenders, I thought it'd be a kick to have that kind of performance in a rover........ so yeah any thoughts????

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
RickyRover said:
is it possible, the Gelandewagens are similar in size as the defenders and I was wondering if that would be feasible? I know for fact that it would prolly require a merc transmission :dunno: but just for kicks, i was just wondering if such a thing would be? any thoughts on it??? more specifically the G270 with a 2.7l inline 5 turbo diesel, that produces 156 hp, and 294 lbs-ft of torque or the G320 with a 3.2l v6 diesel that produces 215 hp and 220 lbs-ft torque or the G400 with a 4.0l v8 diesel that produces 250 hp and 411lbs-ft of torque, which is way more than Rover Diesels and more than the 2.8 hs Diesel offered on some defenders, I thought it'd be a kick to have that kind of performance in a rover........ so yeah any thoughts????
Here's what I think. The TD5 in stock form is not far off the mark compared to the G270. Re chip this motor and it would probably equal it, if not do better. Add an LPG into diesel injection kit to it, and it will flog the G400. The best part is that it all will fit together nicely, without trying to find adapters, engine mounts, chopping, and moving heaps of things to hook everything up.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your opinion and it is greatly appreciated, but the same amount of modification can be done to the merc engines and get more than the g400's already 250 hp. I know it would mean having new engine mounts and the sort, but I just think it would be great to have something different. I was just wondering if the engine could actually fit inside a Defender or any other rover?

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I was just looking at an older Gwagen being restored at a shop in VT and the engine in that thing was massive. Tall and long, but narrow. It could probably fit, but with the same amount of work a much better option would be a Powerstroke or Isuzu that has cheaper and more common replacement parts.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hmmmmnnnn....... it just came upon me that maybe instead of trying to put in the merc engine, I should just look into a Diesel Gelandewagen instead( :eek: gasps :eek: ), even though it isnt a Rover, its still good, and comes with 3 locking diffs already....... sigh........ :confused ....... i dont know what to think anymore........

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.