Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted some opinions. 2002 Disco 2 .213000 km. body not 100%. engine sounds real strong, No warning lights on dash.( only the SRS light). The truck needed a jump to start it. back door handle sticks(WD40) $1500. i own a 2000 Mercedes Benz ML 430 and do most of the work on it myself. I also am not that bad with body work

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Whatever you do, have a Rover Mechanic do a pre-purchase inspection sound you know what you may get stuck with.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If can get it to the shop befor it overheats, I guess that would be a good test drive--LOL.. knock on wood. I have always loved the shape and style of this truck, but i have always been to scared to pull the triger, because of the rap they have. My Mercedes ML 430 also has a bad rap, and the only repair i have made in a year is a new batterie, inner and outer tie rods. I guess its all luck of the draw (knock on wood) I saw Diso Mikes sticky on major tune ups and know i can do all that my self. I would like to know how you guys know youre Head gasket is not 100%. I have never driven a Discovery. Is it like any other vehicle-- white smoke from tail pipe---nasty looking coolant in the over flow---creamy looking engine oil. And also what else to check on befor i make up my minde. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
34 Posts
I agree with Mike. Have a Land Rover Mechanic look it over.

#2. These things have a lot of "unique problems, just be prepared for it. I only purchased one because I wanted a disco II since I was a child.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I figure with the truck having over 200000km i would have to pull the heads and send them to a machine shop. I was looking on e-bay yesterday, and for just over $700 i can get a ----Radiator--Water pump--Thermostat--brake pads and disks--a gasket set (every gasket and seal) and spark plug wires. I think all that should keep me buisy for a while. Whith the top of the engine apart i figuer its a good time to do all the other things also. I might even change all the hoses and start fresh.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Don't buy anything off of E-Bay till you send us a list of the actual companies that are selling these parts, usually all you get from there is junk and that doesn't work on a Rover, don't want you to find out the hard way.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dont worry about that Mike. You would have to be a idiot to buy fake rover parts made in Hong Kong. All the parts i saw were origional Rover parts from the UK. I know how sensitive the cooling system is. ( the one place you dont want to cheep out on ). But it is getting harder to not find parts made in China-Mexico or India. Look at Bosch spark plugs. some batches are from Germany--India or Mexico. Its all pritty sad.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts