Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get either a 4runner or a Discovery. I know Toyota has a reputation for reliability and is common to see 4Runners with 300k. I am kinda new to the Land Rovers, I would like to see how many miles people are getting on their Disco's and what kinda repairs it took to reach the miles? How expensive are parts as compared to say "Toyota". I hope this makes sense. Thanks in advance for the input, Chad :buttrock:

4,346 Posts
I'm going to be honest, Land Rovers are more expensive to maintain than Toyotas. If you're going to do most of the work yourself, you'll be ok. I have 126k miles on my 96 Discovery and have had no major problems. I do light off-roading compared to most guys on here, but more than a Toyota ower would down here. The truck is outstanding off-road. That's where it belongs :buttrock:

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, I see you are from Miami, I am working on Marco Island. I am not planning to do any heavy off-roading. I work for a Dredging company and am only home 9 days per month, and all I'll be doing is daily driving, pulling my boat and occasionally my 4 wheeler. The mechanic that I use specalizes in Imports, so labor would not be as much an issue as the cost of parts. What kinda mileage should I expect to get out of say a 1998 Disco? Chad

4,346 Posts
Hey Chad! I get about 14-16mpg city driving..the 4-runner is lighter so im sure it has better mileage. I'm not going to tell you NOT to get a Rover, but if the tasks you mentioned are all you're going to be doing the Runner seems like a good choice.

JC

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, but I wanna do it in style. There are several "Toys" running around North Mississippi, but not many Rovers. I think the price is very reasonable for the 98-99 Discovery's. I really don't know, I've gotta sell my truck first , then I might join the "Landy family". Chad

· Registered
37 Posts
Rinconman,
Discos are heavy for their size. I hadn't thought that much about it until a coworker recently mentioned his full size Ford's weight, which was about the same as my 'little' Disco. Are you going to be in the mud much? The Toy might be better for that, and will be able to fit larger, wider tires a little easier.

I was getting the same mileage as Binary up until I put on the roof rack. That's premium gas, too :eek:

The Disco will definately get you around in style. Lots of aftermarket options, too. Perhaps more than a 4Runner. The Disco Series I (US '94-98ish) has some issues with rust (dissimilar metals), but overall it's solid. LR's in general are solid vehicles. Just look at how many of them are still tooling around remote parts of the world. Of course, I've also driven some 'yotas in far off lands that were very capable despite years of neglect.

LR ownership is an emotional issue, not something that logic will help you decide upon. Everyone of us loves these beasts! :D

Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.