Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been gone the past week on vacation and my disco thought it was the perfect time to go crazy. We arrived monday around 7:00 pm. I towed two motorcycles for the trip about 4 1/2 hrs. I was unloading the motorcycles and my horn came on by itself. The horn blew constant for about 45 sec to a minute then went off. Went to bed that night and about 2:30 in the morning it does it again. I don't know for how long but everybody in the hotel was standing outside. This time I couldn't get it off so I pulled the fuse. Any ideas. Everything was ok for the next few days then Friday my check engine light came on then it started running like I had gotten some bad gas. While it was idling it felt like it was going to choke down but when I gave it gas to go it smoothed out. Everytime I stopped it did the same thing. no smoke or strange noise form the engine just a hesitation while idling. Took it by Autozone they read the code and said the #6 cyclinder and #1 cyclinder misfired and o2 sensor 1st bank no activity. I have already ordered some spark plug wires the ones that are on it have never been changed and I am also going to order an o2 sensor form Atlantic British. Sorry for the long post. :dunno:

· Registered
216 Posts
i dont know about Land Rovers, but one time I had a GMC Jimmy do the same thing and turned out my fuel injectors were clogged. If you take it in, might at least have them checked out or run some additive to the system and try to clean them yourself.

· Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tried the water bottle test on my plug wires and they looked like a Christmas tree. Got the plug wires from a local parts store but they were not the right ones. I called the Dealership this morning and they wanted $240 for a set of plug wires, needless to say I didn't order them. Ended up calling Atlantic British and getting them for $90 for the wires and shipping. Hope to be on the road again in 4 days or so. I replaced my spark plugs months ago, should I replace them again since the wires are bad or will they be ok?

· Banned
527 Posts
Scott, I am pretty sure that your problem with the alarm (horn) going off is that you had your windows down or atleast cracked an the cabin pressure sensors sensed change and emitted the security system. JMO.

· Banned
527 Posts
01001010 said:
Ok I know I'm gullable, but Cabin Pressure Sensors? Are you serious or jokin?...lol Don't know about DIIs and much less how their security systems work and their components so I'll believe it...lol
Both of my D2's have them. :dunno: They are right above the seatbelt mounts on the top/sides of the inside of the vehicle.

· Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The horn sound was constant not pulsing like the alarm and the lights were not blinking either. It sounded like someone was holding the horn button down. Anyone know where the horn is located? Maybe it is shorting out because of a bad wire or the horn itself maybe bad.

· Polish and proud of it.
631 Posts
I had the same problem with my horn but the sorce of it was compleatly different.

My right hand side botton looks like it broken and it's not holding level .

One day I was able to let it sti level but pushing it in and let it catch one of those tabs .

Well at 4am the horn went off , Half naket and armed with the key . I came to find out it was not the alarm . So I opened the door and still a sleep i just tuched that botton and the horn stoped . So I just went back to sleep .

But that's what was my problem with that .

· Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tisart funny you should mention running out there half naked with your keys trying to disarm your car, that is excatly what I did when it went off at 2:00 in the morning. I failed to mention this part in my original post for fear of embrassment but I ran out to my car half naked, the horn would not stop so I started it up and took off down the road. No wallet ,pants, shoes, nothing with my horn going off like I had just stolen my car. It finally stopped and I drove around for about 15 or 20 minutes to see if it would do it again. I pulled back to the hotel and took out the fuse. My wife thought I was in jail because I was gone so long. She said she didn't know how I would have explained myself if I would have been stopped by the police. Just one of the many thrills to owning a Land Rover I guess. :eek:

· Super Moderator
743 Posts
My D2 did the same thing, with the horn. One of my horn buttons was also defective and everytime I hit a bump or touched the steering wheel a certain way, usually while backing up, the horn would sound.

Got it fixed under warranty. I am pretty sure the general public just thought I was retarded.

· Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
HFsdisco I'm glad I was able to provide an entertaining story for someone to laugh at. :lol: Got my spark plugs today and installed them. Took about 2 hrs because of the way they put the stupid coil packs in there. started the motor up and it was worse than before. Made sure all the connections were on good and they were. Called my wife's father because he knows more about cars than I do and we came to the conclusion that the # 6 cyclinder still was not firing. Changed the spark plugs again and still the same thing. We tried several other things but nothing seemed to help. We decided it was either the coil pack or fuel injector and called it quits for the day after wasting 4 hours not counting the 2 hrs it took to put the wires on. About 11:30 tonight I went back out to the garage and started messing with it again. Came back inside to search the net and found diagram for the coil packs. After looking at it for a few minutes I realized I had cross the #5 and 6 wires on the coil pack. :eek: Whiched the wires and it runs perfect now. I drove it around the block and all is good. I can't believe that is what was wrong with it. The only thing I dread is calling my wife's father tomorrow and telling him what was wrong after he wasted 4 hrs today.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.