Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I've had my 2000 D2 out for sale in my yard for a couple weeks and when I moved it the other day it ran really poorly. Lo and behold, there was a massive nest in the hood liner and they had been all over the engine bay. My code reader says I now have misfires on cylinders 3 and 4. I've checked the leads and there's no problem with them or the coils. I pulled the upper IM to get a better look at things and I still cannot see anything out of the ordinary except all the mouse poop. I'm thinking they chewed through a wire somewhere; I just can't find where. Maybe someone can explain what broken wire would cause misfires on those two cylinders because I'm no good at electrics. Thanks

· '03 Disco SE
573 Posts
Cylinders 3 and 4 are on different cylinder banks so it's unlikely that it's just one wire leading to the problem. However, I would focus on the ignition coils at the back of the engine to see if there is any visible damage.

Also, did you say you found mouse crap INSIDE the upper intake manifold? Maybe I misunderstood but if you did you very easily could have sucked something into the cylinder heads which is now causing your valves to stick.

Most importantly, WEAR GLOVES and BE CAREFUL when you're doing all this work. Hantavirus is a very dangerous, potentially lethal viral infection that is transmitted through mouse excrement and it's endemic to all of North America.

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cylinders 3 and 4 are on different cylinder banks so it's unlikely that it's just one wire leading to the problem. However, I would focus on the ignition coils at the back of the engine to see if there is any visible damage.

Also, did you say you found mouse crap INSIDE the upper intake manifold? Maybe I misunderstood but if you did you very easily could have sucked something into the cylinder heads which is now causing your valves to stick.

Most importantly, WEAR GLOVES and BE CAREFUL when you're doing all this work. Hantavirus is a very dangerous, potentially lethal viral infection that is transmitted through mouse excrement and it's endemic to all of North America.
No I'm sorry I must have misspoke there wasn't anything inside the IM just around the engine bay in various places. And I pulled the coil pack to examine it and can't see anything wrong. Kinda stumped. I just printed the wiring diagram so I can check continuity to injectors and coils.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.