Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys!

I am a newbie- so bear with me- rather than sift through THOUSANDS of posts I have decided to add mine to the bunch so I can get a dedicated answer rather than drop AS MUCH $$ on diagnostic tests and tune ups only to come to the conclusion that you guys can provide

So I have a 2003 Disco II w/137k and I have the following codes:

The 3 amigos

service engine soon light

Brake light

P0150 O2 sensor circuit malfunction (bank 2, sensor 1) Front sensor RH bank stoichiometric ratio outside operating band

P0174 System too rich (bank 2) Multiplication injector adaptive fuelling - rich limit exceeded RH bank

P0308 Cylinder 8 misfire detected Injector 8 excess emissions/catalyst damaging level of misfire

P1590 ABS rough road signal circuit malfunction Hardware is OK, but SLABS ECU is sending an error signal

SO- since there is no such thing as a stupid question...lol..here are my concerns.

-I have the 3 amigos- no big deal- I can get the little 3 amigos code reader thing and clear those -no problem?

-yesterday I noticed a very loud sound from the engine upon start up and what sounds like rattling and a vibration from the casing that covers presumably the belts(after adding oil it has subsided but is still present). also its rattling UNDER the car which would lead me to think its a cat issue possibly.

-the car drives fine and I can feel no vibration on the gas pedal as I accelerate

- there is a slight over rev upon initial acceleration to driving speeds (30-45 MPH ( cylinder 8 perhaps?))

-a more pronounce engine sound with a slight windy whine on the drivers side after adding oil it has subsided but is still present

-does the misfire on cylinder 8 DIRECTLY relate to the cat issue?

-will replacing the O2 sensor eliminate my issue entirely or has the damage extended to the converter?

-the ECU SLABS thing is really confusing- does that mean that I DONT have to replace the shuttle valve since the hardware is "OK"

I'm no mechanic but I'm quite capable of fixing things within a normal realm of DIY. :nerd

I have tried to be as thorough as possible with the symptoms ....

· Premium Member
1,768 Posts
Hi, i'll tell you only about the SLABS thing cos that's what i know for sure ... the 3 amigos + the red brake warning are supposed to be together, the brake warning should be there all the time with the 3 amigos but in reality it isn't always just mostly on wheel speed sensor fault codes , you must read the fault code from SLABS cos there can be more things not just the SVSs and if the code is wheel speed sensor related the SLABS might send that rough road signal caused by that, when P1530 refers to "hardware OK" it means that there's no problem in the circuit/ECU just that the ECU(SLABS) is sending a signal with a reason... that reason might be revealed by the fault code stored in it... it's not enough to clear the 3 amigos with a code reader, you must fix the fault which generates the code then in most cases the amigos will clear themselves by default... about the missfires i don't know enough

Attachments

Reactions: redtruck12

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok- thanks. I will definitely go ahead and order the shuttle valve tonight. Seems easy enough to replace.

I am also wondering if replacing the spark plug on cylinder 8 in addition to replacing the 02 sensor will clear the other issue? I am going to have someone take a look at it tomorrow and get down to the bottom of that loud engine noise.......thanks for the input and that chart-really helpful!!

· Premium Member
1,768 Posts
Why would you order a SVS while the fault code might be wheel speed sensor related though?

· Administrator
2,424 Posts
I will agree with sierrafery
Don't bother throwing parts at it til you know what you need.
First step for sure I'd find out what is wrong. If you are going to go and order something order a diagnostic tool and get codes

As you originally wrote, p0308 = cylinder misfire catalyst damaging misfire
It sounds like you may have already hurt the cat. But regardless, you need to get to the root of the misfire. You are not going anywhere until you do.

In my opinion the misfire code should be #1 on your to do list and should be resolved before any mor driving

· Registered
225 Posts
The catalytic converter is not necessarily damaged, the code is just telling you that the misfire is bad enough to damage the CC should you continue running the engine with that fault. the flashing CEL (check engine light) was enough to warrant shutting her down indefinitely until the problem is resolved. All of that vibration and rattling is from the engine not firing on all cylinders. The misfire could be caused by a number of things including spark plug, HT wire, coil, injector or stuck valve. I would check for spark on that cylinder first. If it sparks do a compression test on the cylinder. Trust me, the vehicle does not drive fine with all of those codes. In my book it qualifies as undriveable. Fix your ABS. I don't know a lot about it but ABS can only be a few things. Something to do with the shuttle valves or the hub and wheel speed sensor. STOP DRIVING IT. Clearing the codes won't do anything.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.