Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
'99 Disco II
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99 d2 with 145,000 miles. It has been running worse and worse for a few day. Rough idle. No power, no acceleration and very rough running. I checked the codes today and got p1590, 0440, 0300, 0306, 1300, and 0301. Any ideas? Could it be the crankshaft position sensor?

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
Hey
1590 is the famous rough road code (you likely also have a b s lights on sometimes )- not related to your issue
440 is a evap. Emissions code also not the issue
300 1300, 301 and 306 are all misfire codes
1 &6 are the same half of the same coil I believe so you are likely dealing with a secondary (output ) ignition issue such as a bad wire.
Any signs of a arcing ignition wire?
How mechanically savvy are you?
Not likely a crank sensor issue

·
'99 Disco II
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know the plug wires are old. Frankly I'm a little scared to attempt them just from looking at the videos. It looks very difficult without removing the manifold, but I've never removed a manifold before. I'm up to it if I have to though.

·
'99 Disco II
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just went out in the semi dark and saw no arcing. Not sure what I was looking for, but nothing that looked like light or spark. It seems this problem has been slowly coming. It started as and intermitent thing and has recently been getting worse. Now it's very bad and I need to try something today as this is my only car

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
Don't drive it until you get it figured out and fixed or you will cause expensivedamage!
You could try by checking for spark on the 2 most effected cylinders (1&6) see what you have
Sounds like a wire problem but could also be a coil or ..?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Get a plant atomizer, start the truck, lightly spray around the plug wire boots, not saturation, you want a mist, if the wires are breaking down and going to ground, you will see the fire works display Do this in the dark btw. If you see a light show you are on the right track. Good Luck!

Doug

·
Registered
52 Posts
Removing the manifold is not as hard as it may seem. Just take your time and carefully label each item and the order you take it off. Make sure to order a new manifold gasket before you start. Replacing the wires this way is much easier and you get a little better understanding of how your rover works. While you have it off it might be wise to change your valve cover gaskets at the same time. Make sure your buy a good set of 8mm wires and new plugs.
(amazon has both gaskets at a great price)

·
'99 Disco II
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys! I bought new wires (the best pep boys had, bwd select 7mm for 45.00. Like I said this is my only car and I needed to move fast) and plugs. I managed to get them all changed without removing the manifold. What a difference! It's running smooth and strong. I cleared the codes and am looking forward to the drive home today. Hopefully nothing too bad happened during the few days I was orced to drive it wounded. Thanks again. This place and people like you have saved me so much trouble over the years. Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.