Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 03 Disco with 86,000mi, been having missing coolant for a year now. I have to fill the over flow tank every month. Had it pressure tested over night and came up with nothing. I replaced the throttle body heater gasket. Flushed the radiator. Checked the oil (not milky). No white smoke other than normal condensation on cold starts. I pulled two plugs to see if and antifreeze was on them, nothing. I do get the swooshing water noise, so air is getting into the system but I and my local mechanic can not find any wet spots under the hood. Any ideas what to try next? Thanks

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
You have a coolant leak, not sure why you were unable to find the leak. How many pounds of pressure didi you use? Did you check the coolant pressure cap?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe it was 15 lbs over night with no loss, i checked the pressure cap and seems to be fine, no coolant around it. I also just let the truck run for 20 minutes and put clean cardboard under the engine bay, no sign of coolant. I'm guessing its getting into the engine form a bad head gasket, but its not showing any of the usual signs. I bleed the air out of the hoses again today with the little bleeder on the radiator hose. The only thing i found tonight is what appears to be a small amount of coolant on top of the engine block between the valve covers. I checked the hoses running over it several times with no luck and i already changed the heater plate

·
Returning Rover
123 Posts
I had the water pump leak but only after the vehicle is turned off. Not sure on your Disco but some water pumps have a diaphragm that leaks after the truck is turned off and the pressure is still there. It generally won't leak while the pump is turning! Check around the water pump for signs.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have the exact same problem, once a month or so the overflow is low and I get that air bubble sound behind the dash. I checked all the usual spots, like the heater core o-rings, under the throttle body, etc. Pressure tested the system and the cap, all good. No leaks anywhere, it's completely dry and I've never had any over heating issues, lack of heat or smell of coolant.

I almost want to just change the headgaskets for fun, maybe I'll find something? I just drive it and keep checking the overflow and always watch the temp gauge.

·
Registered
380 Posts
After you heat your truck up it'll pressurize the hell out of your system with air embolisms, I suggest you continue to bleed so you don't have a greater problem stemmed from the coolant system. Get under the truck and check the cross members, they will have coolant on them if it's leaking from the front half of the engine, did you check the heater core for leaks also?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.