Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I've got a question about some coolant mixing.

My wife brought her LR3 in for a quick emissions inspection. They left the expansion tank cap off, she drove off and it overheated. I was in a meeting, she called them back and they came out and saw the cap off.

They topped then proceeded to fill up with a 50/50 mix of Zerex G-05. It had from the dealership Dexcool in it. First, is this okay? Dexcool is OAT, I believe, and G-05 is HOAT. Issues?

Second, upon overheating, she pulled right over and turned the car off (been there before). Potential damage? Obviously, could be, but if it drives fine should it be okay? That's what my dealer said. Stated to drive it on highway and if it performs well, then all is good.

Thanks,

Wes

·
Registered
379 Posts
I've always heard it's bad to mix. Are they the same color fluids at least?

As for your second question, I personally would not be satisfied with their nonchalant "oh it'll be okay" approach. The error is on them, too. I'd demand they do every possible test/check of the engine to ensure that it's good. I'd also want to watch them do it and see documented results.

...then I'd find a new dealer.

·
Registered
35 Posts
do not mix fluids especially if they are different colors. if this has been done flush the system immediately and replace with the appropriate coolant. on my discoII i used the bmw coolant which others have as well and had thousands of miles of lower than average temperatures without any adverse effects.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.