Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This application took me about 9 hours as it was my first time doing shocks and springs but I had a blast and more importantly got to spend time with my rover.
The first shot is the Before. Notice the sag in the rear end.
The second shot is for another thread that wanted to see what my alloys looked like with rustolem paint on them and the factory lug caps removed.
The 3rd shot is the 2 springs I pulled off the front. Note the difference in gauge and the number of turns. They're completely different sizes. I dunno??
the 4th is the new stuff installed.
The 5th is where I hit my first real snag. On the rear the bushing was heat seized on the mount so I had to literally cut with a knife and then shave clean with a razor blade to make room for the new bushing. (this took almost 2 hours)
the 6th shot is the clean shock mount.
the 7th is a not so good "after" shot while in the garage.
The 8th, 9th, and 10th are all after shots. In all I got around 2 inches up front and close to 3 in the rear.
Up front I put on OME 751's and N115's for the shock
In the rear I went with 762's and N44's.
This set-up gives the truck just the right posture and attitude and I took it on the trail this morning and its simply perfect. 100% improvement.
Also, soon I am going to post detailed instructions on how to do this step-by-step. Instructions posted on the web are sketchy. Like for instance it doesn't tell you that OME develops a spring for both the driver and passenger side. So although they look the same they must go on different sides. And they must be positioned inside the spring mount a certain way. I learned this and many other things through trial and error so hopefully I can pass on a little knowledge that will save folks some time.
Overall I am VERY pleased.
Thanks

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I usually go for performance mods before asthetic stuff. I have been looking into trimming that front air dam below the bumper a little bit though.
Any ideas?

·
Forward!
2,324 Posts
bluemax09 said:
I usually go for performance mods before asthetic stuff. I have been looking into trimming that front air dam below the bumper a little bit though.
Any ideas?

Ditch it!!:buttrock: The increased approach angle is worth it, and I think it looks pretty good without it. The middle part just unbolts, and you can trim the endcaps with just a safety knife when it's warm enough out. I cut mine when it was about 95 out and the end caps cut like butta.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
bluemax09 said:
The 3rd shot is the 2 springs I pulled off the front. Note the difference in gauge and the number of turns. They're completely different sizes. I dunno??[/QUOTE=bluemax09]

Done on purpose to compensate for the extra weight on one side of the truck (steering box, steering shaft, steering wheel, etc etc). In the end your truck is going to lean on one side if you did not buy the springs matched (like EE or other vendors sell them).

bluemax09 said:
This set-up gives the truck just the right posture and attitude and I took it on the trail this morning and its simply perfect. 100% improvement.[/QUOTE=bluemax09]

So this is the first set of springs/shocks you've installed in your truck and you think it's perfect??? Maybe you should try other setups first and see if you like it or not. Improvement yes, 100% I don't know.

bluemax09 said:
Like for instance it doesn't tell you that OME develops a spring for both the driver and passenger side. So although they look the same they must go on different sides. And they must be positioned inside the spring mount a certain way. I learned this and many other things through trial and error so hopefully I can pass on a little knowledge that will save folks some time.[/QUOTE=bluemax09]

Check out some boards like OuterLimits and see what they say about the OMEs, or some boards out in the UK...

I give you credit for doing the job yourself, well done.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the "credit". As far as improvement and performance goes that is all relative in the fact that the only thing you have to gauge your performance and improvement off of is the last set you had on (which was stock). So Improvement...yes 100%...and performance.....yes 100%. I'm afraid that I don't have the money to go buy a "few" different sets of shock/spring set-ups and toy with them to see which one is "perfect". So, for me coming from a stock rig....everything is as I described it in the post. Perfect.
Thanks for the input though.

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Looks great, glad your happy! Now its time to get some good tires! :)

JohnC said:
So this is the first set of springs/shocks you've installed in your truck and you think it's perfect??? Maybe you should try other setups first and see if you like it or not. Improvement yes, 100% I don't know.
Jeez, I think that would only come from someone selling competing products. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
keptin said:
Looks great, glad your happy! Now its time to get some good tires! :)

Jeez, I think that would only come from someone selling competing products. :rolleyes:
Actually, I sell OME also. Sorry about the website, one of my friends is working on it and it's been a slow process.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.