Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been going around the series checking all the levels and topped up the steering gearbox and relay housing. A LONG time ago, I rebuilt the relay housing in my first 2A and drilled the shaft, down thru the center, then another small hole into the side, halfway down. Put a zerk fitting on the top and pumped it full of grease. This cured the forever leaking out of the 90 weight. The relay housing in the present 2A was new so I didn't think it necessary, but shortly after filling it, I detected oil coming out the bottom seal (true to form) so wish I had done the grease fitting mod before finishing it up. What I'm wondering is if anyone has used grease in the steering box in lieu of 90 wgt. grease such as the prepacks for CV swivel housings.

After driving it around a bit yesterday (Plate? What plate?) I sure appreciate the PAS in the Defender.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Terry,
Heh, gotcha on the power steering...it's good for your biceps though... ;)

Now, I have a leaky steering box as well and no matter how I try to rebuild it and seal it up, she'll weep a little bit. I've taken to putting in some thicker oil...75w140 to be exact in there...

Hmm, but, my relay doesn't seem to leak much, just a drip every once in a while...I do like that mod...but on my truck I haven't needed it...

Bogatyr

·
Series Moderator
536 Posts
EP Semi-fluid

I now use semi-fluid ep grease in anything that runs on EP90 it doesnt even leak from my old knackered rangie swivel seal which used to spew gear oil its fantastic stuff and coats everything really well since ive used it ive not broken a single CV joint (once a common event)

·
Profesional Hunter
443 Posts
Iv just greased the whole lot with WB grease before putting it all togeter again. I have added some SAE 90 (Gearbox&Diff) oil in as well but it does not leak at all.

Sh1t should not have said that, now it will most properly start leaking, hey?

Terrys I like your conversion, i will keep it in mind next time I do a Steering box.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.