Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi. christ this cars starting to do me head in now. i fix one problem and another pops up. this time when i start it cold and rev it a little the bloody thing cuts out but when it warms up a bit its ok. it done it first thing when i was goin to work then again after it had been parked all day. i hope someone can point me in the right direction as the bloody thing is annoying me now

thank you

Tony

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Check the positive crank case ventilation circuit. It dumps fumes and oily vapour from the valve covers back into the intake system to be re burned and lower emissions. Problem is it dumps all that crap ahead of the throttle so it covers everything in oily crud causing running/starting problems.

Take the intake/throttle ducting apart ahead of the manifold and clean it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check the positive crank case ventilation circuit. It dumps fumes and oily vapour from the valve covers back into the intake system to be re burned and lower emissions. Problem is it dumps all that crap ahead of the throttle so it covers everything in oily crud causing running/starting problems.

Take the intake/throttle ducting apart ahead of the manifold and clean it.
is this the part between the air filter and the inlet manifold ,(i dont supose you have a photo of the part mate) i removed the MAF sensor last night and there must have been 1 inch of sticky thick oil hanging from it so i cleand that hoping that would be the problem butit wasnt ,yeah mate a picture would help me so much

thank you

Tony

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yes... he's saying that you should remove the ducting between the intake manifold and the air cleaner. Or to be a little more precise, remove the portion between the air cleaner and the throttle body. This should be the same section that the MAF was located in. Once you remove this are of hose, you will see the butterfly valve in the throttle body. Spray this down with a good cleaner and make sure the valve/plate itself is shiny and clean. Make sure the surface around the piping where the valve seats is clean and clear. Try to clean as much as you can beyond the throttle body as well, though you probably won't be able to do much.

Then, take a look at your PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) valve. It's the pancake looking thing on the passenger, front corner of the engine. It's held in by two small bolts. If there is a lot of gunk built up around it and oily residue covering that part of the engine, then it is definitely time to replace it. Even if there isn't, it may be a good idea to replace it as these things only seem to last 75,000-100,000 before getting completely gunked up. Part should be about $50 online and takes 5 mins to replace.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes... he's saying that you should remove the ducting between the intake manifold and the air cleaner. Or to be a little more precise, remove the portion between the air cleaner and the throttle body. This should be the same section that the MAF was located in. Once you remove this are of hose, you will see the butterfly valve in the throttle body. Spray this down with a good cleaner and make sure the valve/plate itself is shiny and clean. Make sure the surface around the piping where the valve seats is clean and clear. Try to clean as much as you can beyond the throttle body as well, though you probably won't be able to do much.

Then, take a look at your PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) valve. It's the pancake looking thing on the passenger, front corner of the engine. It's held in by two small bolts. If there is a lot of gunk built up around it and oily residue covering that part of the engine, then it is definitely time to replace it. Even if there isn't, it may be a good idea to replace it as these things only seem to last 75,000-100,000 before getting completely gunked up. Part should be about $50 online and takes 5 mins to replace.
morning mate
i removed everything between the air filter and the throttle body and cleaned them,while they were all off i discovered the EGR valve had been blanked off ,i took time to make sure everything was clean then put it back together hoping everything would be cured but when i started it this morning it did run realy smooth but when i give it a slight rev it cut out ,,bloody cars eh,back to square one again lol

tony

·
Registered
55 Posts
Maf

Is idle smooth ? Try disconnect MAF - what happens then ? If that fixes problem - replace MAF .... Next thing to check would be throttle position sensor ...

Also no check engine light ? Did you try read out any fault codes with ODBII reader anyway ?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.