Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If some of you read my earlier post on NYE on had an issue with a P0301 misfire code that comes on and off on my 2001 Land Rover D2...stays on for a few days then is off for a day or two. I was ruling out plugs and wires but figured I will just order a thicker set of 8mm kingsborne wires and bosch dual platinum +4 spark plugs.

I am thinking about taking the upper manifold off and checking the fuel injector, swapping my number 1 fuel injector with another cylinder, while having it open I was thinking of just replacing the coil (bosch coil that I found for $60). I heard that the fuel injectors are pretty robust in D2s. What are your guys thoughts? Do coils typically go first? Fuel injectors more of an issue? Should I just replace both the fuel injector and coil? OEM fuel injectors can get up there in price so thats why I am thinking of starting with the cheaper of the two....

I am just hoping its the wires and plugs that will do the trick but starting to think of other things it could be because after the plug swap, and wire swap I keep getting P0301 which is telling me it might not be the wire or plug....all the help I can get would be appreciated. Very annoying when you can't pin point exactly what the problem is but I am trying to save myself money by doing the cheaper tests first...

Hope everyone had a happy new year....cheers Marek!

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
If some of you read my earlier post on NYE on had an issue with a P0301 misfire code that comes on and off on my 2001 Land Rover D2...stays on for a few days then is off for a day or two. I was ruling out plugs and wires but figured I will just order a thicker set of 8mm kingsborne wires and bosch dual platinum +4 spark plugs.

I am thinking about taking the upper manifold off and checking the fuel injector, swapping my number 1 fuel injector with another cylinder, while having it open I was thinking of just replacing the coil (bosch coil that I found for $60). I heard that the fuel injectors are pretty robust in D2s. What are your guys thoughts? Do coils typically go first? Fuel injectors more of an issue? Should I just replace both the fuel injector and coil? OEM fuel injectors can get up there in price so thats why I am thinking of starting with the cheaper of the two....

I am just hoping its the wires and plugs that will do the trick but starting to think of other things it could be because after the plug swap, and wire swap I keep getting P0301 which is telling me it might not be the wire or plug....all the help I can get would be appreciated. Very annoying when you can't pin point exactly what the problem is but I am trying to save myself money by doing the cheaper tests first...

Hope everyone had a happy new year....cheers Marek!
Your on the right track. Start with wires and plugs first. Just stay with the +2's. Next, swap the coils side to side and see if the misfire follows the coils, then the injector swap with another cylinder. Narrows it down before you have to buy anything.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Helievacpilot: from your experience....just based off of what typically goes 1st in the D2...has it been coil or fuel injector? i am just curious, if it were a guessing game, I will eventually pin point it exactly after swapping parts out. just curious as to past experiences because i have only had my land rover since Oct

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Not seeing that much on +2's in terms of buying them....is there issues with +4 and kingsborne wires? Many say bosch +4 and magnecor wires...

so many different opinions out there, can get very confusing
Autolite double platinum from Advance Auto. Kingsborne are great. Don't waste your money on magnecor.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Helievacpilot: from your experience....just based off of what typically goes 1st in the D2...has it been coil or fuel injector? i am just curious, if it were a guessing game, I will eventually pin point it exactly after swapping parts out. just curious as to past experiences because i have only had my land rover since Oct
Can't say either is more or less reliable or likely to fail. Neither is a common failure item on a D2.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Checking for a bad coil

I know this is an old thread but I thought I add this in case others are chasing the same problem.

Our trucks have 2 coil packs, each contains 2coils. 2packs x 2 coils = 4 coils for 8 cylinders. Each coil fires 2 cylinders. So, if you have a bad coil you will get misfires on 2 cylinders. If you know which 2 you can easily change the correct coil pack.

Cylinders sharing coils: left pack: 1&6, 4&7, right pack: 2&3, 5&8,

The pic of the coil is viewed as looking at the back of the engine as if you were sitting in the truck.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.