Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
4,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

Just now, my dad finished giving me some more news...

For those who have read my "Major News" thread, you'll know that I've got my dad into the LR vibe.

He just finished tellin me that he wants to buy a LR, either a DII or a Freelander but he really doesnt like the Freelander so it'll most likely be a DII. He also told me that he'd be willing to give it to me but as long as I promise to be incharge of the restoration/repairs for the DI that I drive now.

It's great that he offered this but I have really grown attached to the DI aka El Capitan. I like my mechanical Diff Lock and protected CVs within Swivel Balls. I know it too well now to switch over to a truck with more electrical components.

I dont know, I guess if they can get a white one, I'll really consider it but as of now, I'm stickin to my D1.

So what do you guys think...am I being stupid? or am I right on for loving my DI's mechanics?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Keep the D1

Dude, If I were you I would stick with the D1. Like you said, you know the vehicle. If you are attached to it keep it.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Are you friggen nutz?........go for the DII, a 2003 please w/ 4.6L engine. Electronics are our friends, lets not be afraid of them. :D

·
4,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When it comes to vehicles, I preffer that it be all mechanical. Hek If i could I'd stick a naturally aspirated, GMP Crate engine in there!..lol..and I know it can be done, but where would the fun of owning a Rover be if you didnt have the leaks..lol....anyway, The more computers a vehicle has, and depending on the use it's intended for, I'll usually stay away. Now, dont get me wrong, doesnt mean I wouldnt have a friggin S-Class for the evenings.

Anyway, I just came in from cleaning the cargo area's carpet, and after I was done I sat and thought long and hard. I think I'll be staying with my D1. I know that since the DII is a bit more expensive to maintain, I think, if I stay with my D1, I'll be able to gather my funds for the Defender quicker.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I suggest you stick to the D1 as well. I completely support your concerns re the electronics. I'm also on another forum that's dominated by LR3's and the amount of problems they are beginning to experience is quite extrordinary. I don't want to step on the toes of any LR3 owners here, but as has already be mentioned; Too many computers.

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Disco said:
I suggest you stick to the D1 as well. I completely support your concerns re ... another forum that's dominated by LR3's and the amount of problems they are beginning to experience is quite extrordinary. I don't want to ..., but as has already be mentioned; Too many computers.
It is never about too many computers: it is about how they were installed. Sounds like they never got rid of those wiring gremlins nor the Discovery's 'predisposition' for electrical problems.

Oh well.

Adam in NYC :drive:

·
Registered
139 Posts
stick with the d1.

you know the vehicle. you can fix it, or know how to from this board and others.

not for one second should you think you will be in long term good graces with an 03 D2.

·
4,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My friends...thank you very much for your comments...It's a done deal then...D1! :clap: This is what it should look like when restored/repainted/and upgraded...

Instead of reinstalling the running boards, since my mom/dad will have their new Disco with its own running boards, I'll be installing the SlickRock Sliders to maintain the stock look.

Question though, would tire size 245 look silly with a 2" lift or should I do 1.25 or 1.5??? Remember, once I have the Defender, the disco would only get lightly wheeled and would be used more as a DD/peoplemover/tow vehicle.

I've decided not to install the SD rack on the disco, save that money, and buy a rack for the Defender when I have it (that is ofcourse, If i dont get one from ebay that already has a rack :D )

We'll see how everything goes and what plans actually get carried out.

·
4,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll just use this thread to post some more Unexpedted news.....

Guys, Katrina has really beat the crap out of the Gulf coast states. We're sick and tired of having to worry about our house falling apart, or our vehicles getting damaged because of hurricanes. My parents are now SERIOUSLY considering moving...Steve (SCSL), LLersa, and Matt, get ready to have a new neighbor!!!!..I suggested Colorado, and they both REAALLY likes the idea! As of now, it would be either Northern Georgia, Ohio, or Colorado.

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
Hey JC, now you'll be closer to the west coast - your gfriend, great rock crawling spots - the Rubicon is about 2 hours from me... :D

Good luck with the move and be safe.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.