Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have used the search function which caused me to repair many items that were typical culprits for others on here. Problem persists so I figured I'd make a thread.

Primary vibration is a very high frequency/repetition that isnt a very heavy vibration, just fast if that makes sense. It makes my mirrors blur but doesn't rattle anything to much, just a very very fast interval vibration is the best way to put it...... like humming?!?? I feel it in the butt of my seat and slightly in the steering wheel. I think it sound like its in the tranny tunnel but sounds are deceptive sometimes.....

This vibration is non existent at 20/30/40 ->90 km/h. 95-115 km/h it gets intense and then lessens slightly over 120km/h. There is a slight vibration when accelerating and I maybe only feel it in second gear, it switches to third gear and is smooth and nothing right off the hop in first. I can go from either a stand still, or say in an on ramp situation where I am at 40km/h, I can mat the throttle causing the overdrive to kick in and it is still smooth as butter up to 95km/h and has the exact same vibration as if I had driven to that speed slowly.

[NEW PARTS-all brand new-all from atlantic british other than the tires;]

[Brand new Blizzacks]
[Both front wheel hub assembly w/abs sensor]
[Front drive shaft]
[Rear drive shaft conversion to convert to non flex-joint [the conversion one their site]
[New brakes]
[Wheels balanced]
[Alignment]
[All new fluids - diff etc]

Took to a local lifted/offroad/4x4 truck place and they are stumped as to what is causing this.

Thank you for any suggestions that I can raise to them and any ideas.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will look into them, thanks for the ideas. I am compiling a list to take in with me when the truck goes back so we can get this solved. It is in incredible condition inside and out, I just need to get past this issue..........

Thanks again,

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok will check with them tomorrow. I would hope they'd have done that when installed but easy to ask. I mentioned what your idea was to them and they said "we were thinking the same thing". If that's the case or not at least I can move forward a little. I trust the person installing which is nice, friend of the family so at least I know i'm not getting hosed. He simply hasn't worked on many of these so I'm trying to help with ideas from here.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Ok will check with them tomorrow. I would hope they'd have done that when installed but easy to ask. I mentioned what your idea was to them and they said "we were thinking the same thing". If that's the case or not at least I can move forward a little. I trust the person installing which is nice, friend of the family so at least I know i'm not getting hosed. He simply hasn't worked on many of these so I'm trying to help with ideas from here.

Thanks again!
The drivetrain on these trucks is almost pre-historic in terms of 4WD's. Gear driven TC, two driveshafts and two live axles. Don't let him get hung up on the LR badge.
Also, unless he has the machine to do it, not sure if he could definitively say that the driveshafts are balanced. If the bearings check out, I would take the driveshafts to a shop and have them re-balanced.
Also, you didn't mention if you had any lift on it? Not usually an issue under 3in. though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The drivetrain on these trucks is almost pre-historic in terms of 4WD's. Gear driven TC, two driveshafts and two live axles. Don't let him get hung up on the LR badge.
Also, unless he has the machine to do it, not sure if he could definitively say that the driveshafts are balanced. If the bearings check out, I would take the driveshafts to a shop and have them re-balanced.
Also, you didn't mention if you had any lift on it? Not usually an issue under 3in. though.
If the driveshafts are brand new the balancing still needs to be done? This may sound like a stupid question but you are dealing with a non-car/truck person here.....

No lift, the air bags have been converted to standard suspension is the only modification that I am aware of.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
If the driveshafts are brand new the balancing still needs to be done? This may sound like a stupid question but you are dealing with a non-car/truck person here.....

No lift, the air bags have been converted to standard suspension is the only modification that I am aware of.
I'm kind of shooting in the dark on the driveshafts. It's not beyond the realm of possibility, eliminating all else. You've eliminated the front wheel bearings, have your shop check the pinion/tc bearings, then post up again with the results.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I've had replaced everything above or at least had it all checked.... still vibration at 70km/h and over 105 km/h.... this is so frustrating.

Driveshafts have been balanced as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Since you have done pretty much everything, double check the condition of the motor and transmission mounts. Sometimes they appear good when the components weight is resting on them but they could be cracked and not doing their job and even under normal driving conditions they fail to perform as they are design to isolate rotational and torque forces....my $ .02

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.