Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Thanks for the Post!

1st rover said:
hey guys i just came across this when i was researching... i agree with some of the stuff he says and some not... but here have a look...
Thanks! I like the URL and thought the Amsoil paragraph was worth the read alone. Many thanks for looking out for our investments....

Adam in NYC

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
Great post...very informative!!!! I will show this to my neighbor!!! Thanks!! :wave:

·
Registered
128 Posts
I stopped reading at this point:

If you look at countries other than the U.S., the oil recommended change interval is much higher than even the normal interval specified by vehicle manufacturers in the U.S.

Our service interval counters are set for our market. US RR was 15K ROW was 7,500. Freelander was 12K. ROW was 6K. AT 7,500, remainder are the same. That's just Land Rover, YMMV, but this is a LR forum.

·
Magicly Delicious
1,030 Posts

·
Proud to be an Infidel
1,137 Posts
1STROVER... Well done!!!!
Interesting reading. I am currently using AMSOIL 10w/30 in my Landy. While I feel pretty safe about the weight and cold flow of this oil......I feel somewhat concerned about my catalytic converter......definitely I have some more reading to do.
I cant seem to locate where they tested the K&N oil filter in the "filter" article. After reading the "filter" article, I suspect that "FRAM" was the major filter manufacturer that was sueing.....I could be wrong ...but just my suspicion.

·
Magicly Delicious
1,030 Posts
FlyWheel, I'm sure you're right on FRAM. I know I'm not going with them anymore. i used to use them alll the time, but last change i impulsivly got a Mobil filter, looks like it didnt turn out to be a half bad descision.

·
Forward!
2,324 Posts
keptin said:
wow....according to that site's tests Lucas additive = bad

great sites guys!
I changed my motor oil Mon. and subbed one quart of oil for Lucas oil stabalizer, and it worked great! Quieted down the lifters on initial start up, etc.,etc.. The only problem was that the weather turned cooler this week with lows in the high teens, and with the Lucas product being extremely thick the oil light would stay on too long for comfort after startup when cold! Anyway I changed back to straight oil Saturday morning, and all is well. I think in summer the Lucas product might work pretty decent, but if anyone is thinking about using it in the cooler climes you might want to think twice. Just my opinion. :drink1:

·
Registered
490 Posts
Lucus also make a lighter oil stabalizer that is pure synthetic... much better for newer engines and or cold temps. FYI.

Although I must admit... I have not used it. I have used the HD Oil Stabalizer but in Texas... we might have a morning or two with low temps... nothing like you guys get up north.

·
Registered
490 Posts
1st rover said:
hey guys i just came across this when i was researching... i agree with some of the stuff he says and some not... but here have a look...

I thought that was great. I actually knew about the Amsoil bit... go on line and register as a Prefered Customer and order direct... there is a warehouse ten blocks from my office. I call in my order and pick up on the way home (no shipping to worry about).

I was good until I ran across this quote... "If Al Gore is re-elected in 2004, and the Supremes don't simply ignore the election results again, then there is a chance for lower sulphur fuel in the U.S. beginning in 2005."

LOL the funniest thing I have seen is a SUV with a election sticker for Kerry. I think if I saw one with an old Al Gore sticker... I might just wreck my Rover from laughing so hard.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.