Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
very disco
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a brand new rhino rack pioneer elevation rack... it's going on either my LR3 or RRS, can't decide yet.

i think the rhino rack backbone (easiest mounting solution) looks like garbage. the included crossmembers fit the LR3 rails perfectly, and could easily be affixed with channel nuts to the rails.

has anybody mounted a rhino rack pioneer platform to their LR3/4 or RRS without the use of the rhino rack's mounting accessories?

i'd love to hear your stories and see your pics

·
Registered
82 Posts
I loved my backbone on the FJ as it fit the contours of the curved roof perfectly and was a very rigid setup once mounted.

I’m watching closely to see what you end up doing b/c I’m very interested in how the RR platforms will work on newer models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
very disco
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I’ve decided to mount to my RRS (my wife decided she wanted it).

I hit up the local Lowe’s and snagged some black powder coated brackets. Hopefully I’ll have it fitted tomorrow.

I don’t disagree that the backbone is probably the stoutest/sturdiest Avenue, but... I just can’t get on board with it and all of the Swiss cheese holes of varying size

·
very disco
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well, after several hours of drilling and welding custom brackets and fitting the rack onto the RRS... my wife had a change of heart.

FML

in lieu of another trip to the hardware store to build new/different brackets for the LR3.... i think i'm going to eat crow and buy the backbone.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I looked back through my pics and I guess the holes in the backbone just didn’t bother me. But I agree they look less attractive on the more square Rovers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
very disco
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i look at some backbones, and the holes are pretty uniformly sized... the LR3 backbone is much larger in the front portion, resulting in big @$$ holes up front and tiny holes in the back. maybe it's the lack of symmetry. maybe i just hate it. maybe i'll feel differently after it's on my roof.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts