Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
3 months ago, the drive shaft (i think) blew out and my 02 LRD2 became a paper weight. I was dumping money into every year and got sick of it. Just as...my job added another 80 miles to my daily commute. I bought an Xterra and had the LRD2 towed and stowed in my driveway.

I'm no mechanic, but my wife wants to keep the car (she loves it) and i'll eventually make it a project and try to fix the damage done (time is hard to find).

Anyway, its in an annoying spot in the driveway and i'd like to move it to the corner. The problem, it won't budge, not in neutral, drive whatever. if i start it (surprisingly it still starts) and put in in neutral or drive, it just gives me a clicking sound. i don't expect it to move since i can see the shaft hanging down.

Any mechanics know how i can get this thing to move while its in neutral? Or what's stopping it from moving at all?
Added picture
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/G2yZ1OTF1TXGPBZaUcBG6HdhtQU_B_2M7D06q94zCdA=w276-h207-p-no

·
And I didn't even submit a proposal...
202 Posts
Begin by removing the broken propeller shaft, it's easy and you'll have to do that anyway. Jack the truck up so the wheels are off the ground. Do they turn at all? Stuck brakes? Stuck hand brake? Can you turn both output shafts on the transfer case? Can you shift the T-case in neutral?

·
'03 Disco SE
573 Posts
The broken driveshaft likely did some damage to the gear train in the transmission or transfer case which is probably causing them to seize up and resist rotation.

Like LB said, pull the drive shafts (I'd do both of them) so that the axles can rotate independently of the TC/trans and try pushing it. If it's still stuck, jack it up, spray the brakes with penetrating spray and try to rotate the wheels by hand. If it's STILL stuck, you likely have differential damage, and it's probably not worth fixing.

Depending on the damage done, it might not be a wise financial decision to try to fix it. Parting it out could easily net you $2000, and selling the shell to a scrap dealer (it has a heavy aluminum body and steel frame) could get you another $500. That puts you more than halfway towards the cost of a running D2.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input. I really don't want to shell anymore money into this car. Love the look, but just bc i can change a tire doesn't make me a mechanic (i tried telling the wife). If i was more inclined, i'd keep her, but i know she'll probably collect dust.

I'll take your advice and take the shaft off. The car won't budge. The handbrake was never used, and i don't get the sense that it's stuck (i tried it). I don't know anything about output shafts, t-cases and penetrating sprays, but i'll look it up and see if i can make that sucker move. thanks again

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.