Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all

I'm New here so easy on me :drink1:

On Dec' i'm moving to the state for 3 years. I realt don't know what to do with my 97' TDI D110? should i sale it here?
As far as i know, i can ship the car and use it there as a visitor/tourist for one year, and then i'll have to exit the car out of the country.....any idea?

·
I'd love to be in the Rat Patrol
3,205 Posts
You can bring it here.
Drive it for a year.
Sell it to someone who will in turn sell it back to you.
Then you can drive it all you want once it's registered in one of the states.
(I think)

Anyway that's what I'd do.

·
Registered
28 Posts
You'd be treading on some dangerous ground. Trucks have been destroyed for not leaving the country. Make sure you check it out properly. One thing you might be able to do is export it to Mexico and then back into the states for another year. I've read of an individual keeping a PO box in Mexico to do this.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You have to import the vehicle ( =pay import taxes), at the very least. This is just my guess, but sounds pretty natural to me.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Importing a Vehicle less than 25 years old.

There is a load of misinformation out there regarding this issue. If there was an easy route, there would be alot more Defender 110s in the US.

Go to the National Transportation Safety Administration Website:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov and search 'import'.

There is a complete description on all scenarios; Temporary, Permanant, etc.
You will see that the 1993, and ONLY the 1993 Defender 110 (and only the 110) has been petitioned and accepted as a vehicle which is "SUBSTANTIALLY" similar to one previously imported, under category VSP, and therefore, eligible for importation
Many people have brought in vehicles whose VIN information has been altered to make it look like a 25+ year old vehicle, and in all likelyhood, if it gets in this way it will never thereafter be a problem. The big IF is that it DOES get in. If it is submitted falsely, and it is discovered at Customs Clearance time, kiss it goodbye, and be pepared to shell out $10,000 in fines.

Temporary imports are the easiest ones for the Customs people to track, because you, your passport number, and all the vehicle info is on a list. As the year end approaches, they have everything they need to track you down and be satisfied you have exported the vehicle. It CANNOT be sold. If it hasn't actually LEFT the country on the 366th day, it had better be in a bonded lot at the docks, or they will seize it. What happens to it after that is not pretty, but sufficee it to say, the beaurocrats "have their way with it" They were probably the kind of snot-nosed kids that liked to torture kittens when they were little.
If you are coming here, forthe three years, as a Diplomat, or stationed military personnel of a foreign government, you can have it for the three years of your 'tour'.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
EPA & DOT

Environmental Protection Agency & Department Of Transportation.

They are both Beaurocratic havens for the otherwise unemployables.

The US Customs website leaves no glimmer of hope. However the NHTSA info is more encouraging, in that it tells you what to do to get it approved (Registered Importers, list, etc) If a vehicle is already on the list, it signifies that some poor slob invested the money to have it 'federalized'. Once done, it is far easier for the next guy. If you can get a document from the Manufacturer (Land Rover, in this case) that states it is substantially the same, and references the VSP number (28, I think) then you only need to post an import bond, have a RI (Registered Importer) do the Importation, and verification, and EPA/DOT conformance and you're in. If you're only coming for a 3 year visit, and presumably not with the Mosad, or as a Diplomat, leave it with a good friend to enjoy. There are plenty of Off Roading Land Rover events over here to help you get through the withdrawl pains.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've not looked into this at all, nor read the links above, but what if you pull the engine and ship it over as a builder? P1ssing in the wind?

·
Wheeler
1,843 Posts
Classic !

TerryS said:
Environmental Protection Agency & Department Of Transportation.

They are both Beaurocratic havens for the otherwise unemployables.
Classic !!! :drink1: :drink1: :drink1:

This is good stuff ! :clap: :clap: :clap:

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Bring it into the US and drive it over the border (Canada or Mexico, depending on what state you're moving to) and then bring it back into the country every year.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts