Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have an MP3 player setup in their rover? I just bought a 1GB iPOD shuffle with a nifty little fm transmitter that plugs into the 12 volt outlet. Before, I used a discman with 2 cords running to the dash, which was not only messy but also inconvienient to have to change cd's all the time. The entire package(Ipod plus transmitter/charger) is smaller than my cell phone. Not only that, I can plug my cell phone into the transmitter with a USB adapter and use it it as a charger plus it makes a nice hands free setup, transmitting the phone into the stereo. Only problem is it has a 30 foot range so anyone within 30 feet who has their radio tuned to the frequency I am transmitting on can listen in. For anyone who is thinking about an MP3 player, but doesnt want to spend the $$$ for a 20+ gb one, let me tell you, I have already loaded 8 cd's onto my shuffle and haven't even used half of its capacity yet. :clap:

· Polish and proud of it.
631 Posts
Radio Shack caries a MP3 player that looks like Ipod mini , but it's less then half price and has 5gb space .

I have Ipod mini 6Gig . And I want to install this icelink in my truck . but i can't get a straight answer if it will work in my LR or not .

· Registered
350 Posts
I have an MP3 CD player and XM radio, I never cared much for standalone MP3 players. Plus, two of my friends have had to get their iPods replaced after bringing them along for an offroading trip in my truck, I wouldn't trust one of those things on the trail.

· Premium Member
2,318 Posts
Dang, beat me to it....was thinking of posting this yesterday as I am getting an iPod.

Alright, so up till now ive been using my ultimate setup....that cost around $35.00. I have a MP3-CD player with a tape deck plug thing and it has worked fine. It holds around 2000 songs on 7 CDs; I am constantly having to add more CD because between me and my friends we accumulate 100 songs every week or so; after a month I have +400 or so songs than the month before. I have a 25 min commute from/to school every day, so I have time to listen to them even if its only in the car....the thing is, its tough to drive and switch CDs when you want, also, for the same reason, I cant listen to one song on one cd, then another on another cd because the switching gets tedius.

The setup has a ton of wires running back and forth from the tape deck to the console, from the console to the cig lighter, from the lighter to the console, from the console to the switch and the switch back to the console.

Anyway....its time to clean stuff up. I have to admit that ive never been so interested in iPods specifically. They were always too expensive for what they gave you; 20gigs, non-lith-ion batt, itunes sucks @$$, etc.....untill now.

With the release of the 30gig lithium-ion batt. powered, video playing, picture holding iPod, it is comperable in price and features to the top MP3 players. Its $299 for 30gigs, 14 hours batt (decent), but PLAYS VIDEO!! I am opting for the more powerful and larger 60gig iPod, with a 20 hour batt. life.

I plan to not only use it for music and pictures, but save whole movies to it and watch them when there is downtime during camping (and there has been some serious downtime.) It can hold 150 hours of video, and plays for 3 hours while watching videos, but I can easily rig a lead from my car batt to the AC power/charger and run it all night.

With the best buy warrentee (which is suprisingly good considering its best buy; aka. worst return) it will come out to be around $500 with the AC power/charger, including tax and shipping.

I believe its the best way to go for what I want.

· Registered
6 Posts
Monster Cable makes an mp3 player called iCruze that replaces your cd changer. They make these specifically for Land Rovers. You lose your ability to play cds, of course, but you can keep your cds in your home stereo and still rip the songs off your cd and put them on your iPod. Also, you will still be able to use the controls on the steering wheel to change playlists and songs.

http://www.monstercable.com/icruze/

Added benefit- I haven't purchased the iCruze yet, but guy at the store said he can run a cable from under the passenger seat to the middle console so you can place your iPod inside the console. One thing I've always hated was having to reach under the passenger seat to change cds.

One warning, however: The first place I went inquiring about the iCruze said they don't stock them anymore because they keep having to replace them. The second place I went said they have had no problems whatsoever and the first place is staffed with a bunch of idiots who don't know how to install anything correctly.

I'll probably pick one of these up soon, and will post back with results.

· Polish and proud of it.
631 Posts
Jonathan said:
Monster Cable makes an mp3 player called iCruze that replaces your cd changer. They make these specifically for Land Rovers. You lose your ability to play cds, of course, but you can keep your cds in your home stereo and still rip the songs off your cd and put them on your iPod. Also, you will still be able to use the controls on the steering wheel to change playlists and songs.

http://www.monstercable.com/icruze/

Added benefit- I haven't purchased the iCruze yet, but guy at the store said he can run a cable from under the passenger seat to the middle console so you can place your iPod inside the console. One thing I've always hated was having to reach under the passenger seat to change cds.

One warning, however: The first place I went inquiring about the iCruze said they don't stock them anymore because they keep having to replace them. The second place I went said they have had no problems whatsoever and the first place is staffed with a bunch of idiots who don't know how to install anything correctly.

I'll probably pick one of these up soon, and will post back with results.

I've seen that somewhere , but the description did not said anything about the functions of it . So i didn't know that it's just like the iCElink . Cool , thanks for this info .

· Premium Member
2,318 Posts
How to make videos to work on Ipod video

Ok guys, I just got a white 60gb 5th gen Ipod (video) and its awesome in my opinion! It comes with balls (almost no) accessories, but im not that worried, I dont need most of the other stuff it would come with.

The video is flat out sweet! It was a little painful getting it on the ipod from a wmv file. DONT DONT DONT buy Quicktime Pro 7, I was thinking of buying it, then I just "borrowed" it from an anonymous friend on the internet. Its very pissing annoying that apple decided not to give you a program that can do the video....they expect you to either buy thier videos or pay $30 for quicktime pro 7.

Well I gave it a try and its terrible!! It sucks so much because it takes so long....and still doesnt work. Ive tried it with multiple file types and sizes and it always F's it up so the Ipod cant read it or it doesnt play with sound. I dont know what its doing but it compresses it BIGGER. The worst was when I tried a 25mb video and it turned it into a 3.5gig video with no sound. It took about 2 hours to do that too. It wasnt worth keeping a "borrowed" copy on my comp and so I uninstalled it.....but remember DONT BUY IT!

To get it to work:

To get it to work I used the Ultra WMV Converter to convert from wmv to mpeg-3, while simaltaneously changing its size to 320x240 to fit the ipod. Then I used the 3GP Video Converter to convert it to an mpeg-4. It is very crisp and plays fine on the ipod with perfect video and music, and it takes the same amount of space as the converted 320x240 video file. For one video it initially started as a 16mb video, then I converted it to 320x240 and it made it 5.75mb, after it was conveted and on the ipod it took up something like 5.89mb.

Someone today told me they got it to work all in one step with the Videora iPod Converter.....supposedly new and free.

· Registered
6 Posts
After shopping around, missing the delivery, and finally getting the iCruze installed, I'm on day 2 of using monster cable's iCruze.

Some problems initially, but seems to be working okay at this point. Two issues for anyone thinking about getting one of these though: 1: BE SURE that you have only six playlists, and that each is denominated as "1icruze," "2icruze,"... 2 Connect iPod to cable prior to turning on stereo, and wait till stereo is off before disconnecting.

Further updates as warranted.

· Registered
33 Posts
I've done this on my 02 DII. British Atlantic sells a kit that plugs into the CD changer wiring under the seat and only has one small wire which plugs into the IPod headphone jack. All you do is go to the CD mode on the stero and then use the IPod as normal. I've ran the wire up to the dash and just set the IPod next to the cup holders in the console. Been using it since the summer and not had any problems. Only draw back is that I no longer have a CD player but I've ripped all my CD's onto the computer so I can load what ever I want on the IPod. Since there is no power to the IPod it only lasts as long as the batter then I have to recharge it. I've tried the FM thing but then I couldn't plug in the blackberry and that's almost as important as the tunes.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.