Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

MPG poor, driving habits fair. Some Q's for the pros

3762 Views 21 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  Jessekg
So I have been trying to figure out my low(er) MPG in my 2004 D2. Everything is stock. No racks, lifts, winches, etc etc.

My habits are pretty good when it comes to efficiency. I usually accelerate from a stop and the torque converter rarely goes over 1800rpm(which takes forever); This thing is geared so low I barely have to use my brakes to slow down.

Some things ive noticed: When accelerating the torque converter is always revving until I hit 4th gear. I can feel the shift from 1st-2nd then while maintaining soft acceleration I hit around 35-40 and the car almost skips 3rd and goes right into 4th; watching the RPMS you see they drop for maybe .5 seconds in third then straight to 4th. Is this like everyone elses?

I rarely saw over 14.5 mpg average this summer. There was a mix of highway/city in there too. on the highway I dont go over 70mph(speedo is high by 5mph at that speed).

Does everything sound normal with my trans? Spark plug wires dont appear to be the original ones. I have 97k miles on the vehicle now. I have read of people getting 18-19 mpg when trying hard and I am trying hard. I can't even enjoy driving it because I am so soft on it.

Chris
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
What year is your truck, how many miles on it, when was it last tuned along with new 8 mm silicone wires, what octane are you running, what air pressure are you running and is tour service engine light on if so what are the fault codes numbers?
Most Disco's get poor mileage, I live in Denver at 6000 feet and I average 18.25 MPG.
If you want help, answer all the questions.
Also Rover are not gears low, they have 3:54 gears which are pretty steep.
2004, 96k miles on it now, bought at 80k, I havent put new wires on it but they arent the original ones, I run 93 from shell, I think im 40-43 psi in the back and 37 ish in the front.
So, have you checked the level and quality of your tranny, do you know how to check it?
Always run the same pressure both front and rear, I run at 40 pounds and by doing so your drive train will have less stress on it while in CDL.
What about all the other parts of a major service like changing the diff and t/case fluid and have you had any check engine lights on?
If the tranny were having a problem, you would have a CEL with some sort of a 700 to 800 fault code.
Mike's Disco is a 1999 model - they came with the 4.0 liter engine with is marginally more fuel efficient than the 4.6L we have. However I'm still struggling to believe that he's getting 18.25 MPG, especially considering the hilly terrain and the inherent HP loss from operating at higher altitudes.

I have an '03 that I keep well maintained (plugs, wires, filters, air pressure, good oil, 93 octane) and I practice mechanical mercy (light throttle and braking, no aggressive maneuvers) and I average about 13.5 in the city and 14.75 on the highway. This seems to be fairly standard, as indicated by the EPA ratings and countless first hand reports. You can see the info here: 2004 Land Rover Discovery MPG Reports | Fuelly

The numbers skew upwards a bit because it averages both Diesel and Gas models but you will notice that most gas cars get between 12-15. I don't see any possible way to get up to 18MPG, short of stripping the thing to shed weight.

Also, your transmission seems to be behaving correctly. However, it probably couldn't hurt to replace the trans fluid and filter as a matter of routine maintenance. Also replace the TC and differential oil with quality synthetic product. This will likely have no impact on MPG but will cut down noise, improve shift quality, and slightly lower temps.
See less See more
same here.. well maintained 2002 with 180k and she gets 12-14mpg. i'm lucky to get 16 on the highway

wait for the winter it gets better ;) combination of cold weather and winter mix gas and i've seen tanks hover around 10mpg's
@OneRyan thanks haha. I had it last winter. average was 12 ish :/ I knew this wasnt going to be a cheap vehicle to drive but I love it and it handled pretty well the few times ive taken it off off road.

Mike's Disco is a 1999 model - they came with the 4.0 liter engine with is marginally more fuel efficient than the 4.6L we have. However I'm still struggling to believe that he's getting 18.25 MPG, especially considering the hilly terrain and the inherent HP loss from operating at higher altitudes.

I have an '03 that I keep well maintained (plugs, wires, filters, air pressure, good oil, 93 octane) and I practice mechanical mercy (light throttle and braking, no aggressive maneuvers) and I average about 13.5 in the city and 14.75 on the highway. This seems to be fairly standard, as indicated by the EPA ratings and countless first hand reports. You can see the info here: 2004 Land Rover Discovery MPG Reports | Fuelly

The numbers skew upwards a bit because it averages both Diesel and Gas models but you will notice that most gas cars get between 12-15. I don't see any possible way to get up to 18MPG, short of stripping the thing to shed weight.

Also, your transmission seems to be behaving correctly. However, it probably couldn't hurt to replace the trans fluid and filter as a matter of routine maintenance. Also replace the TC and differential oil with quality synthetic product. This will likely have no impact on MPG but will cut down noise, improve shift quality, and slightly lower temps.
I would hate to think you are calling me a liar, if so, **** your ass up here and I'll take you for a ride and see for your self.
By the way, that is with 4:11 gears and 265/75/16's.
I would hate to think you are calling me a liar, if so, **** your ass up here and I'll take you for a ride and see for your self.
18.25 mpg, AVERAGE? Yea, riiiiiiiight.
I averaged about 15mpg in my '97 Disco 1 with a ton of off road stuff (sliders, roof rack, lights, front/rear bumpers, winch, on board air...). Lift and larger tires, too. The only performance mods were a custom intake, headers, and exhaust. Going off my GPS for miles, I averaged around 17.5mpg for all highway driving. This was at 7,500 - 8,000 ft in Southern Colorado. I had the Disco for 1.5 years. It was our daily driver for about 8 months.

Colin
I'm averaging 16.4 mpg. Stock diff gears, 245/75 tires, and kept up with maintainence. I have the 4.0 also, I watch my Rpms when I accelerate, I do not go over 2000 until 50-55 mph. I drive 50/50 highway and city miles also. The best mpg I've ever gotten was 19mpg, cruise control from Las Vegas to St. George Utah at 65 mph, all freeway of course.

I piss the people off behind me, but when they go around... I meet them at the next red light. ;) I also do have my childish bursts of energy when I'm driving, so that kills the mpg also sometimes. :drive:
The 4.11's will definitely help, that and someone who has a trained ear for the small stuff that matters.

I average 13, everywhere, no matter what.

Stock gears, 245's, 200lb in rear. 3.5in lift.

Petrol is a love/hate thing with a Rover.
Don't forget to throw in a fresh air filter once in a while. A motor has to breathe!
foolish me hasn't checked intake since I bought it. aboot 17k miles ago.

@Dane! my cruise control has a mind of its own. It feels likes it is trying to learn how to drive!
My cruise control sucked for a while too! Turned out my vacuum line had a crack in it, it would slowly leak, it would slow down, then speed way up again. Also, the trip from Las Vegas to St. George is relatively flat until the very end, so my cruise control didn't gun it up the hill redlining my engine to stay at 65 xD
Mike - I am in no way calling you a liar. I respect your vast knowledge of these cars, your willingness to help, and your general approach to diagnosis and repair. However if you found a way to get 18MPG out of a Disco I want to know all of your secrets - maybe a sticky post? I consider myself a proficient mechanic and a mechanically mindful driver, but I feel like I'm getting all of the efficiency that I can out of my truck.

And on another note, my cruise control SUCKS too. Constantly hunting on anything but the most arrow-straight, flat grade sections of road. Lose mph, gain mph, shift up, shift down - I never use it because it's just uncomfortable to be a passenger when this thing gets going. MANY, if not MOST Discos have some version of this problem. Some guys have had luck with replacing damaged vacuum hoses, but I looked and tested until I was blue in the face and found zero problems. Turns out LR issued a TSB (TEC190104) that calls for reprogramming the ECU to fix this problem.
See less See more
My cruise control has never really had a serious problem with keeping speed, I did have a bad vacuum line, It was a bitch to replace... because I bought the wrong diameter hose twice from AutoZone, my eyeballing skills were insufficient to say that least!
Jumping in, o3 discovery big tires heavy truck 17 plus mpg on hiway. Love it………..
Jumping in, o3 discovery big tires heavy truck 17 plus mpg on hiway. Love it………..
Anyone feel keen in running the numbers on tires sizes vs. Odometer vs. 25gallon vs. 24.6gallon, in terms of a fuel efficiency variance?

I would but I'm in Jury Duty!
Anyone feel keen in running the numbers on tires sizes vs. Odometer vs. 25gallon vs. 24.6gallon, in terms of a fuel efficiency variance?

I would but I'm in Jury Duty!
Most will move to a 265/75/16 tire size after adding a two inch lift. Not all 265/75/16 are the same height depending on the manufacturer. Mine are a full 32 inches tall and as a result my odometer is off approximately 10% from stock. Confirmed this following my friends stock rover on a trip in addition to the GPS. So mine read 270 miles at the end of the trip, his read 297 miles.

Not sure what you are referring to with the fuel tank capacity?
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.