Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced the head gaskets yesterday due to a constant misfire in cylinder 7 and all kinds of white smoke. It's a 2000 disco 4.0l. Now I started it this morning and it ran perfect then started to run rough and the engine light is flashing, great. I checked the codes and found 1,3,5 and 7 misfiring and it's blowing all kinds of white smoke. It might just be from all milky coolant/oil from before causing the smoke though. I drained the oil over night and put fresh oil in but it's still kind of milky. Either way prior to doing the gaskets it smoked white but only had a misfire in #7, not all on band 1 or the drivers side I guess.

I checked to make sure all the injectors are plugging and the coils/wires are all in there proper location. Is there a fuse or something that controls either bank? I pulled the plugs out which are fairly new and they don't look fuel/coolant or oil soaked.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I unplugged both 02 sensors just to see if it would just go into limp mode or a base map and not read the 02 input. Nothing changed. The idle is very low so I figure I have a vaccuum leak.

I sprayed my brake clean between the alternator and a/c compressor and pointing down at the manifold gasket and the rpm jumped up. I figure I'll replace the gasket first before I start replacing anything else. I never reuse gaskets but this one was just replace so there's a lesson, NEVER reuse gasets on a rover, metal or not. This could even be the cause of the one bank misfires also. I'll report back after the gasket is replaced.

The longer I ran the rover today the smoke stopped and seems to run better but low idle(vacuum leak) so wait for some parts.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I finally had time to change the intake gaskets. It runs way better but I still have a misfire but it takes a lot longer for the light to start flashing. Also my idle is low. I hooked up my smoke machine last night into the port on the manifold that comes from the brake booster.

All kinds of smoke coming from the injector o-rings. I hooked up my vacuum gauge to that same port and only have about 12mmHg, it should be around 20mmHg is this correct?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I replaced all the injector o-rings and it runs perfect now. So after searching out my issue with misfires and did find a lot of other people with similar issues. Try to do a vacuum leak test and if you had the injectors off for any reason and now there's a misfire. Check the o-rings, cheap to replace and fixed my 1 bank misfire.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.