Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Background: I'm US military stationed overseas getting ready to retire and head back to the US. I dropped my 08 LR3 off at the base auto shop to have it detailed in order to pass the US Agriculture inspection it has to go through in order to ship it back. Detailers washed exterior of the vehicle (from top to bottom) and interior of the engine compartment. Said it gave them no problems yesterday, but I went to pick it up today and it's giving me the christmas tree dashboard of lights and a handful of errors on the main readout panel ("Transmission Fault: Limited Gears Available, Engine System Fault, Parking Break Fault"...those are the ones I can remember/took a photo of).

I popped the battery protection cover and the top of the battery was visibly wet. They popped the fuse box cover (inside the battery protection box) and it appeared to be dry inside.

Dried off the battery. No visible corrosion on the terminals. Car would not take a jump at all. Tried with their mobile jumping box (I've never seen one with enough juice that will turn my LR over) and then they tried with one of the detailer's SUV via a small(ish) pair of jumper cables. Wouldn't turn over at all.

When you turn the key, the blinker lights come on, it sounds like the door locks auto-unlock, the dashboard lights up, and the errors scroll through on the main readout panel on the dash. There's also a big E next to the milage readout.

The detailers kept the car (it wasn't going anywhere) until the Auto Shop's head mechanic gets back on Monday morning.

I've experienced multiple fault messages with the LR in the past (alternator was bad and replaced; that was months ago), so I'm familiar with how touchy they can be when it comes to the electrical systems. What I need is any ideas you all can think of about what could have gone bad during the pressure washing, what to check for first, etc.

Thanks in advance,
JB in Germany

·
Computer Nerd
802 Posts
Weak battery and brake light switch are the two things I'd look for first.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Few questions:

1. Have you actually checked the battery voltage? If you don't have a multimeter around anywhere, one thing you could try is to disconnect the other jumping car's battery and hook your battery up to it's battery cables via the jumper cables. If your battery can start the other car, you know you've got juice.

2. When you say that your LR3 wouldn't take a charge, do you know that for a fact, or are you implying that the truck would still not start after you tried to jump it? These can be 2 very different things. If it really isn't taking a charge, where were you hooking your negative battery cable to? For reference, I have had no problem jumping my LR3 with the portable battery pack that Costco sells (during the winter no less).

3. I'm inclined to agree with Jafir that it might be completely unrelated to the car wash and may simply be the brake switch going bad. On the other hand, it could be your battery or perhaps more likely, just a blown fuse. Despite the fact that you didn't have water in your fuse box, I would still start looking through those 105 (or however many fuses) one at a time to see if you can pinpoint a problem. Start with the fuses/fusible links that might have a direct impact (i.e. ignition related ones... not seat heaters and such).

4. Finally, the other thing that people have reported a problem with that results in the transmission warning light is when you leave your sunroof open and it rains (or gets washed) and water accumulates on and around the shift knob. I guess once the water seeps down underneath the center console, it can short some pins on the transmission electrical connectors. Seems to be a straightforward process to remove the center console trim and dry these connectors out though if you think that may be your problem. Usually the problem goes away once they are dry.

·
Registered
242 Posts
High Speed CAN bus is down. Most likely causes of this are the T-case control module, located directly behind the battery, and very susceptible to water ingress and corrosion, the Instrument pack, and a few various connectors around the vehicle.

Step one here would be to pull the battery, remove the cover for the TCCM, and check it, and its connectors for any water/corrosion.

·
Registered
101 Posts
High Speed CAN bus is down. Most likely causes of this are the T-case control module, located directly behind the battery, and very susceptible to water ingress and corrosion, the Instrument pack, and a few various connectors around the vehicle.

Step one here would be to pull the battery, remove the cover for the TCCM, and check it, and its connectors for any water/corrosion.
I'd bet money on Dave - this happens a lot to unsuspecting pressure washed engine bays ;-)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.