Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
I like Wheel'in around!
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to this forum. I've been posting on a couple different land rover forums, but now I'd thought I would share my story here. So about a year ago, I stumbled upon a local listing for a discovery diesel. I still own a RRC with 230,000 miles and enjoy driving it every day! But i was looking for another off road toy to play with. The discovery had the paint scheme of a camel trophy disco and I thought it was fake....but Boy, was I wrong. So I jumped on it and I found a pretty nice but rough gem in the Colorado desert. I'm still doing research, but I'll catch you up with what I know.

It is a real Camel Trophy Disco, 200TDi and has been verified as the winning disco from Sabah/Malaysia. It was given to Tom Collins as a reward for his hard work and training. The disco was being trailered to a New auto show, when the truck, that was trailering the disco, hit black ice and flipped. The passenger side slid and was cosmetically damaged. After the crash, the truck was sold to Webb Arnold, where he repaired it and used it as a training vehicle for team USA in whitewater colorado, until the demise of the Camel Trophy. I bought it from an older gentleman in the Colorado who obtained it from the brother of Webb Arnold, who abandoned it on his property. I have documentation all the way from Land Rover Of USA in 1999 where it was sold as an offroad vehicle only and did not meet DOT to Webb Arnold. Soon after my Purchase, Webb tried to sue me for ownership, saying it was a stolen vehicle. He lost by a land slide and I am still the rightful owner of the truck. I purchased a Heritage certificate and technical data sheet. Matching numbers all the way around:axels, motor, etc. It has 17,499km on the dash and had a broken caliper, which has been fixed. Here some links to the story, and pictures starting from the beginning.

Enjoy!

Link to expedition portal
1993 Camel Trophy 200TDI - Expedition Portal

Expedition portal write up
The Camel Trophy Land Rover That Just Won?t Die - Land Rover - ExPo: Adventure and Overland Travel Enthusiasts

·
I like Wheel'in around!
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So the weekend was pretty clear and warm, so I decided to take a small drive!(in the town I store the disco, they allow off-road only and farm vehicles on the road....which is good for me!)

Trying to figure out the wiring for the lights. They spliced into the original harness...so I'm gonna order new plugs...now I just got to figure out what each wire does.

Also, "RoverBarn" had a set of fog hella 1000's that he sold me. *Bidding on some driving lamps in the UK. *Should have those soon, as well. Unless someone has some hella 1000 driving lights laying around... ;)

Also, found the original makers for the camel trophy plaques, so I'll have those ordered soon.

·
Super Trooper
1,176 Posts
That is so far beyond friggin' awesome!! I realize it probably isn't your intentions, but I can't help but wonder how much money it would take to fully restore this amazing vehicle. What an absolute gem and a dream - a winning Camel Trophy truck (and a US one to boot)!!!

Thank you so much for sharing.

Colin

·
I like Wheel'in around!
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That is so far beyond friggin' awesome!! I realize it probably isn't your intentions, but I can't help but wonder how much money it would take to fully restore this amazing vehicle. What an absolute gem and a dream - a winning Camel Trophy truck (and a US one to boot)!!!

Thank you so much for sharing.

Colin
I'd say, 2k for missing parts(original husky 8500 winch, axe, peli cases, and possible original tires(my spares are the original tires))

And about 4-5k to find a wrecked camel trophy/disco to properly remove good panels to fix the damaged ones in mine, straighten the frame, order new glass, and properly paint it.

Other than that, it is mechanically sound. :)

·
I like Wheel'in around!
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Finally got my driving lights(Hella 1000's) and started assembling the lights on the top. Gotta get a pop rivet gun and drill down to the shop, so I can mount the signs. But this will do for now. More pictures soon. ;)

So, I took the warn lights, that were mated up top on the roof rack by the previous owner, and temporarily put them on the bumper. They are different than the original hella (550?), but will give me an idea of what it should look like.

Closer look of the install.

I found the original wires for the fog lamps on the bumper. :)

Starting to mock up one of the 3 sand ladders I have to the damaged side of the rack. The threaded studs are damaged, but I'll rig something up soon.

After a little spin in the colorado country side.

·
I like Wheel'in around!
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So, after a long battle today(basically.... wiring, wiring, wiring, plaques, and 2 h3 bulbs being dead) it is done! It looks more like a camel vehicle now! Please note the roof rack is bent a little, so the plaque is actually not slightly crooked. ;)

Basically, there are two power wires that go to the roof rack lights(hella 1000's). One wire splits 2 ways for each driving light, and the other wire splits 2 ways for each fog. One set of lights were working and the other were not. After some investigation, I found my way to the fault. It was in a nest of custom wiring and factory harnesses. Basically, someone had modified it at some point in time after the race. Each set of lights have a relay and someone rigged up the switch only to one relay, instead of two. A splice here and there. Bam. Lights.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.